Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Nice saw!
20'' B&C? She must be pulling that like no tomorrow!
I assume that is the M-tron version? This saw is on my wish list. I keep contemplating to get that or a carbed version from across the pond. I had thought my 261c electronics/solenoids were throwing fits, leading me to a dislike. Turned out to be bad fuel gummed up in the carb..... I still go back and forth as to wanting a 462 or a 462c.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 28” setup too, Haven’t used that yet.
They’re a damn fine saw with your small dawgs. Stay away from the larger ones. It’s almost impossible to get a 462 to cut with a longer bar and a sharp chain with the R dawgs. Flywheel isn’t heavy enough to carry enough momentum to power through a bog.

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’re a damn fine saw with your small dawgs. Stay away from the larger ones. It’s almost impossible to get a 462 to cut with a longer bar and a sharp chain with the R dawgs. Flywheel isn’t heavy enough to carry enough momentum to power through a bog.
Extra hot sausages help?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even on a 461 those west coast dogs grab like a mfer... especially making face cuts in hardwood like hickory for example. I mean I guess you could leave the rakers really high and less hook... but then it’ll cut poorly. Stock east coast 064/066 dogs are perfect on 70cc saws. Or you can fix the west coast dogs by grinding the lower spike... but really it’s just easier to get the right ones.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not understanding the bigger Dawgs being worse comments. I generally like the smaller ones myself because they give up less bar and our hardwoods don’t have thick bark.

My own 462 was equipt with 661 Dawgs from the dealer I bought it from, it’s what he had on hand. I didn’t want/need an R model and still don’t see the point in one. I haven’t had any issues, but I’m not a professional cutter either.

So are you saying the longer Dawgs create a shorter lever arm that will apply more torque to the bar and chain? Wouldn’t the user just lift less if they knew what they were doing instead of stalling the saw in the cut?

Also, the age old light vs heavy flywheel argument. Other than initial increased kinetic energy being available when load suddenly applied I don’t see how a heavier flywheel would make any difference during a short increase in bar pressure during a continual load event. I could see a heavier flywheel being better for limbing and for a stable idle, but that’s about it.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Touchy over aggressive tip in lower dogs are a PITA in hardwoods it's like balancing on a knife instantly stopping the chain the second they touch wood.. Out comes the angle grinder! Lol
I don't think it's a problem in softwoods as there is no massive spike in overload as the wood offers little to no resistance to stall the chain unlike hardwoods.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not understanding the bigger Dawgs being worse comments. I generally like the smaller ones myself because they give up less bar and our hardwoods don’t have thick bark.

My own 462 was equipt with 661 Dawgs from the dealer I bought it from, it’s what he had on hand. I didn’t want/need an R model and still don’t see the point in one. I haven’t had any issues, but I’m not a professional cutter either.

So are you saying the longer Dawgs create a shorter lever arm that will apply more torque to the bar and chain? Wouldn’t the user just lift less if they knew what they were doing instead of stalling the saw in the cut?

Also, the age old light vs heavy flywheel argument. Other than initial increased kinetic energy being available when load suddenly applied I don’t see how a heavier flywheel would make any difference during a short increase in bar pressure during a continual load event. I could see a heavier flywheel being better for limbing and for a stable idle, but that’s about it.
The heavier the flywheel the more stored energy take a very heavy flywheel and a very light flywheel which one would offer the least amount of resistance to slow down.
For limbing I think a light flywheel with fast on the trigger spool up would be best and fast off trigger chain slowing down. A heavier flywheel takes longer to spool up has slower trigger response and getting off the trigger the chain takes longer to slow down.

Last edited:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn’t want/need an R model and still don’t see the point in one.
I never had a wrapped handle till very recently. I can see them being very handy for felling. There's times I need to be standing on the right side of the back cut. Not an issue when running a shorter bar, but a heavier bar and saw always left me wishing for that extra bit of handle to balance the saw better.

As far as dawgs go, sometimes I wish I had them. Even here on the East coast. Old growth Black Locust, and Popular are two I can think of, off the top of my head, with fairly thick bark. I'd like to try a larger pair on my 261 to see how I like em for everyday work.
Maybe the WCS 3-points?

I'm wondering what negative forces may be exerted on the bottom end of the saw with a heavier flywheel? Mainly the crank and rod bearings.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem with dawgs that have the lower spike a lot further below the bar is as soon as the chain hits the wood it pulls the bar down and stalls the chain and it's a pain in the ass trying to dodge that phenomena cut after cut

Thith.

It's one of my least favorite phenomena.