High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Newbie looking to buy first grinder - which one?

kielbasa

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys, been a hand filer for many years, but my CAD is migrating me towards trying a new sharpening experience....I have never considered an electric grinder before, but for some crazy reason I have a serious urge to try now!
Reading several pages, I'm simply overwhelmed - but I'll gladly spend up to $500 for a sharpener (not totally convinced that's necessary), but that's where I'm at. Which one you guys recommend? Thanks for any info!

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to put up a +1 for the Tecomec Super Jolly. Great quality grinder, and does everything I can ask of it. I grind chains for a local arborist, so I get lots of damaged chains to take care of. A CBN wheel would probably be a good investment for me. I use it for rakers as well. Grind cutters first on a bunch of loops, then swap wheels and do the rakers.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the cheap chop saw ones are very similar. It’s the vice quality’s that differs. And get a cbn wheel. World of difference between that and the crappy pink rocks the send with the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the Maxx grinder. I got it from Bailey's on a bit of sale. Neat thing is that the head rotates both ways. Can view setup on YouTube. It also clamps automatically when moving the head down. You turn chain over and flip tooth stop. I use a Diamond Wheels CBN wheel. Grinder was $350 ish . I really like this. Ed
8b27f004fc8967523c7f4637249a05d1.jpg
497d2e35c995d7b74e0d439b9e789475.jpg
fc4b628b0e7de8176cfa182a69e682ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dennis Coon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi guys, been a hand filer for many years, but my CAD is migrating me towards trying a new sharpening experience....I have never considered an electric grinder before, but for some crazy reason I have a serious urge to try now!
Reading several pages, I'm simply overwhelmed - but I'll gladly spend up to $500 for a sharpener (not totally convinced that's necessary), but that's where I'm at. Which one you guys recommend? Thanks for any info!

Dennis Coon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I reckon the thing about all the grinders is "tightness" or lack of "wobble" because all of us with CAD want things just right. The better quality grinders are firmer and angle markings more accurate. I added a washer or two to tighten up my super jolly chain stop from sideways wobble and have learnt that when going from LH to RH cutters I need to advance the chain stop 1/4 turn ie about 9 thousands of an inch to get both sides looking the same.
And the beauty of a CBN wheel is that it does not reduce in size and therefore require recentreing after dressing.
And... if you really have CAD you must reverse wheel direction for LH cutters!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I reckon the thing about all the grinders is "tightness" or lack of "wobble" because all of us with CAD want things just right. The better quality grinders are firmer and angle markings more accurate. I added a washer or two to tighten up my super jolly chain stop from sideways wobble and have learnt that when going from LH to RH cutters I need to advance the chain stop 1/4 turn ie about 9 thousands of an inch to get both sides looking the same.
And the beauty of a CBN wheel is that it does not reduce in size and therefore require recentreing after dressing.
And... if you really have CAD you must reverse wheel direction for LH cutters!
If you center the vise you won’t need to advance the chain stop 1/4 turn. Use a different setting on the gauge dial in front until your cutters are the same length, and then pop off the snap ring and return the dial to the gauge of chain you are currently using

Last edited:

Dennis Coon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you center the visecyou won’t need to advance the chain stop 1/4 turn. Use a different setting on the gauge dial in front until your cutters are the same length, and then pop off the snap ring and return the dial to the gauge of chain you are currently using

Dennis Coon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
G'day and thanks Mr Huskihl but I have just spent 20 minutes trying all settings between 043 and 08 and I'm buggered if I can see any difference, still got to advance 1/4 turn on the stop.
The CBN wheel is very carefully centred (when down in grinding position) to within a few thou

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
G'day and thanks Mr Huskihl but I have just spent 20 minutes trying all settings between 043 and 08 and I'm buggered if I can see any difference, still got to advance 1/4 turn on the stop.
The CBN wheel is very carefully centred (when down in grinding position) to within a few thou
Which cutters need the quarter turn in order to make them the same length? Left or right?

Dennis Coon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
G'day again, RH cutters have been requiring the 1/4 advance but after last msg I persevered some more and moved the bed back a tiny smidgen which I think has done some good. Gotta do some cutting to justify some sharpening before I can be sure.
Thanks for the reply