Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a newbie to this forum (long time creeper, first time poster), I have a question for you guys that port saws. To explain where I'm at, I just finished a total rebuild of an MS 361 and am loving what I see on this forum of the gains that can be had by a good woods port. That being said, what can be expected during a "woods port" as far as all work performed? Exp: is a muffler mod included? Is the carb tuned by the builder or is that left up to the owner? (Not a problem at all, just curious) Is the ignition timing adjusted? Thank in advance for your answers!

mgr1

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me is a woods port a base gasket delete, ports clean up, a muffler mod and carb adjustment.

What the builders on OPE are doing is crazy :bash:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I've seen from the ported saws I've bought and the couple I've sent to be ported, a woods port typically includes whatever the builder thinks will make the best saw for the job without sacrificing much if any longevity. In the ones I've seen the mufflers have been modified, the timing advanced, in addition to the machine work and port work. These guys all test their saws after completion, so yes, they have to tune the carb to accommodate the changes they've made. Of course conditions may vary substantially from their back yard to yours, so you should be ready to break out the little screwdriver when you run it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some models require a timing advance, some don't. Some require extensive muffler modification, some do not. Some builders like to change coils on some models... what one builder does is not a given rule. At this point most are using a lathe to cut the bottom of the cylinder, the inside top of the cylinder, and then moving the ports to match characteristics they are shooting for. (Think changing a cam in a automotive engine.) Not all models need these changes. Some builders like to "spin a pop-up" or a raised bump on the middle of the piston as opposed to cutting the "squish band" inside the cylinder. There are LOTS of variables.

IF you are looking to find someone to port your saw, ask several. Talk to them and have it detailed what they like to do to that model. Ask if they have done that model before and ask for their thoughts. Find someone you are comfortable with and go from there.

What I think is often misrepresented is people want a ported saw to run more bar length than designed. Sometimes this can be done but not always. I have a ported 372. It still wears a 24" bar. It runs that bar better than stock. Yes it can run a 28" or 32".. but the chassis in my opinion isn't really suited for that day in and day out. Porting simply makes a saw do what it was intended to do better. Most of the time you will see snappier throttle response, higher RPM while under load, and most of the time more torque allowing you to push on it a bit more. Porting will not ever make a 50cc saw a 60cc saw. Porting will band-aid poor chain maintenance. Porting will not make all of your cuts line up and trees always go the way you want.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate it! I got into this MS 361 for literally nothing. Long story short, I use my 661 for felling and bucking when I log and take on jobs myself. But when it gets steep and deep here in the hills of SE MN, that 661 can be cumbersome for above-the-shoulders cutting.. SO I rebuilt the 361, added a wrap handle kit, and am looking to get the best power out of this lightweight saw without giving up any reliability.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're not too far from a guy named Scott who knows a thing or two about making saws cut faster... I suggest driving up to my place for a beer on the way to Augusta WI to drop off your saw. It will be a whole different animal when it comes home.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're not too far from a guy named Scott who knows a thing or two about making saws cut faster... I suggest driving up to my place for a beer on the way to Augusta WI to drop off your saw. It will be a whole different animal when it comes home.

I’ve heard of him from a friend who got me started on this site. I’m looking forward to making that trip as soon as finances allow... and I like beer.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard of him from a friend who got me started on this site. I’m looking forward to making that trip as soon as finances allow... and I like beer.

I've got a couple saws he did, and my neighbor @Redbull661 might be convinced to drop by with one or five of his tree monkey 661s if you want to come up and run some saws.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do love 661’s. Mine has been very impressive in stock form for felling and bucking. Only thing I’ve done is put an 8 tooth rim sprocket on it.

I would love to run a ported 661 sometime!

I’ve actually youtubed some ported 661’s before and Tree Monkey’s work is impressive.

Last edited:

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll confess to getting this pilgrimage started for ya! We're gonna make a trip to Augusta, and hopefully to some GTG's around here. I promise to ruin you for sure! (CAD has a way of spreading)