New stove, holy smokes

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I finally convinced the dw that's e needed a wood stove, instead of the fireplace. Or as I call it, the wood waster. So I got a good deal on a buck combo coal stove, which can burn wood. I get it plumbed in and fire it up, and the baking of the coatings smokes the house up, bad. I might have gotten it too hot on the first fire. Open windows, remove smoke alarms and throttle it way down. My eyes are still burning. I just realized that this is my first brand new stove. Why don't they mention that in the manual?

It is not smoking any more, but I am still getting the smoke out of the house. I have 7 smoke alarms and 2 Carbon monoxide detectors. Looks like I will be up late tonight. Has anybody else had this problem?

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very common.
The stove heats up and cures the paint along with burning off any remaining oil that may be on the metal.
Seems to have stopped making smoke, and the house is much less smokey now. I am going to put all the smoke detectors back up, and let the stove burn out tonight. Even with the windows open the thermostat said the house was 73, which is way too hot for me. I guess the wife will not get cold this winter. The heat pump only works to 30 degrees or so. Any colder and it just runs and runs. This should cure that. Might be able to justify another saw now.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There should be something about curing the paint in the manual or on a piece of paper specific to the paint. Maybe it was a cheap stove. You are supposed to ideally do the paint curing outside, but that's rarely practical as you might not get a good enough draft without a chimney mounted on it.

DSC04702 (480x640).jpg

DSC04703 (480x640).jpg

DSC04704 (463x640).jpg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It happens. I remember when I got my first new stove, my buddy asked me how it was doing on it's first burn and I told him there was more smoke coming out of the house, than the chimney. Lol I did 2 cycles before it quit smoking and 4 before the paint stink went away. All of those were about 45 minutes at a lower temp, just a small fire.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There should be something about curing the paint in the manual or on a piece of paper specific to the paint. Maybe it was a cheap stove. You are supposed to ideally do the paint curing outside, but that's rarely practical as you might not get a good enough draft without a chimney mounted on it.

View attachment 319020

View attachment 319021

View attachment 319022

Thanks for that, I got the manual with it, but it was NOS that they could not sell as not epa certified. It weighs 460# so not the kind of thing I wanted to light outside and then move inside. I took the door, ash door, tray and two upper rows of bricks and supports out before I moved it in off my trailer. I guess they may have lost the thing about the paint curing. Well, it is cured now. Smoke is all gone. I closed it down last night and waited until the house cleared of smoke before I closed up the windows and went to bed.

Like I said, first brand new stove. I won't make that mistake again. :dogpile:

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A word of advice .In the future you want to renew the paint use old fashion stove black .Do it in the summer time .
The stove is inside a shell so to speak. The outer cabinet looks fine, the inside is black with little silver specks. It too looks great, just smoked like heck the first time I fired it. Working great now. Wife is happy, and now is talking like it was her idea. I hated the fire place but she is so thrifty, she didn't want to buy a stove as she was satisfied with the lousy wood waster. (Fireplace). So last season I lit the fire place a few times with the flue closed, to smoke up the house. Iold her the fireplace was the cause. She "warmed" to the idea that a stove was needed to prevent the smoke. Lol.

She was talking to our daughter at college today talking about how the stove was great and heated so good.

All I care about is that the house is heated and wood isn't wasted. I did try to convince her before my deception. It wasn't working so I had to resort to deviousness, I am not proud, but I did what needed to be done to get the correct result.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My only complaint about fireplace inserts is that they shrink the length of the log you can burn. And, the specs generally exaggerate the maximum length. I delivered a truckload of logs to a lady with an insert that said 18" maximum and found out that 16" was the limit. To use the wood, I had to cut 2" off half the logs. We saved the chunks for kindling and she thanked me with a tip.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should add to the above that I now make sure every year that I have plenty of "shorties" that I cut for the small fireplace stove inserts and the pot belly stoves as well. Those old pot bellies are still out there and some are indeed classics that cost an arm and a leg:
upload_2021-12-30_9-41-21.jpeg
The owner says this one puts out amazing heat.

Last edited:

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should add to the above that I now make sure every year that I have plenty of "shorties" that I cut for the small fireplace stove inserts and the pot belly stoves as well. Those old pot bellies ares still out there and some are indeed classics that cost an arm and a leg:
View attachment 322006
The owner says this one puts out amazing heat.
Good looking potbelly stove.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you have to do anything to your flue when installing the new stove? Been kicking around the idea of a insert for our fireplace so I can use the fan to distribute heat better. I've been told I'd need a stainless liner at $2500-3000.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you have to do anything to your flue when installing the new stove? Been kicking around the idea of a insert for our fireplace so I can use the fan to distribute heat better. I've been told I'd need a stainless liner at $2500-3000.
I am not the owner of the stove shown in Post #12. Is that what you are referring to? The owner is a professional chimney cleaner, and he built the entire installation. I have never installed a flue liner, but I have an enormous draft with a 34' chimney that I scrape every year.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The liner isn't necessary, but can greatly help with safety from chimney fires, performance, efficiency, and it will stay cleaner. Liners only cost like $300-1000, it's the professional installation that costs a lot.

The blower on my insert is a huge help. On low it easily keeps up with most other stove blowers with their wimpy high output 100cfm, mine does 300cfm.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> Why don't they mention that in the manual?

My last two wood stoves did, but, I will take it further then that. Wipe down your stove and pipes at the beginning of the heating season and remove all the dust, spiders, bugs, and what have you. Your house smells much better without burning them off at 600 degrees. I agree with the post about adding a liner inside your chimney, that is a huge safety improvement. Every year people lose their homes because the mortar chimney leaked into a wall or more likely the attic. It does not hurt to check for animal or birds nests and make sure your screen at the top is clean.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that mention of a stainless liner you don't need a double wall on most existing clay lined chimneys .I stuck a 7" stainless inside a 9" liner .Heavy wall 22 gauge purchased through a building supply company which was less than half if from a "stove " shop . I only needed 14 feet .As it is now the only creosote is in the 4-6" portion above the existing liner which is under the cap .It's the flaky type that will not burn not the road tar type that will . I used stainless pop rivets on the installation .Talk about hard to squeeze . I run a brush through it once a year in the spring or summer .

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used triple walled stainless steel 6" pipe on my stove, for the most part, and I clean it with a sock , though usually only use my vacuum and long hose and use a mirror to make sure it is clean. The black single wall pipe off the stove I clean with the vacuum by rubbing it around so the ridges knock stuff off. Use a mirror to make sure I cleaned it all.

The EPA stove with it's tiny holes and welded in top plate, I wish I could actually thoroughly clean that, I can not.

I burn basically anything wood related, pallets, holly bushes (smoke show), pine, oak, magnolia, etc.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My stove's secondary combustion chamber seems to work well. When I first fuel or refuel the fire with dry hardwood logs, the chimney does produce some visible smoke from the far right flue:
upload_2022-2-20_17-9-19.jpeg

Then a few minutes after I activate the secondary combustion chamber, the visible smoke tends to vanish:
upload_2022-2-20_17-11-23.jpeg
Looks like it works.