New parts cleaning idea ??

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend recently got a countertop dishwasher for $25, in exchange for reviewing it on Amazon. She doesn't need it, as she has a buit-in dishwasher, so I'm thinking about buying it, for a parts washer.

It's similar to this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-Coun...MItd6rpZmd1gIVV7jACh2aGwivEAQYBCABEgLki_D_BwE

I'm thinking of trying it out with a few different cleaning solutions, to see how it works.

Does anyone else do this? Am I possibly onto something?

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys have been trying/using dishwashers for awhile.

I for one would be interested in hearing of your experience should you decide to buy.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using a dishwasher for more than 10 years now, the water was too hot normally so I rigged it manually to turn it on and off.

Last edited:

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best cleaning unit I have used so far, place dirty saw inside,turn on the air and let it run a half hour or about one beer consumed, saw will be nice n shiny by then,

1-paint-gun-cleaning-cabinet.jpg

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been using a dishwasher for a month or 2 now. Does a pretty good job of cleaning parts. Cleaning parts gets pretty time consuming if you do it all the time. If you have covers or parts with special tags or writing like the logo " made in west germany" that come on stihl saws. I wouldn't use to the heat or steam setting. But heat really helps to clean the parts. I haven't had any problems with plastics on stihl or husky saws getting faded or anything from putting them in there.
f0eb1c59d5f40d1a9e8e5308f2d3e24d.jpg

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what my thoughts are - no heated dry or 'extra hot' cycle. Just a normal wash cycle, with a detergent of some kind. Maybe even regular dishwasher soap - it gets the cooked on food particles off, so maybe it would work on saws too...

I'll try to get my hands on this thing in the next week or so, and update.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've tried just the normal wash with no heat and they didn't come out to clean. Used the heat cycle and they were alot cleaner.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a dishwasher in the shop for cleaning saws but I gave it away. It didn't really get the cooked on oil & grime off and regular dishwasher detergent faded the McCulloch yellow paint. I am now using a "20 gallon" parts washer with mineral spirits, it is a lot more labor intensive and time consuming but the parts come out cleaner.

Mark

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m still experimenting with detergents. I’m looking for a good concentrated citrus cleaner.

Loanstar

When I grow up I want to be a "they"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the "LA TOTALY AWESOME" cleaner in one? It works great in my ultrasonic cleaner and doesn't make the aluminum parts dark/blackish. Its supposed to be all natural blah blah whatever. But it works.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone tried the "LA TOTALY AWESOME" cleaner in one?
http://clearshineclean.com/pdfs/LAs-Awesome-Multi-purpose-MSDS.pdf

https://simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenProM.pdf

A key thing is to remember that you are cleaning different materials:
plastics (cases);
steel (chains and bars)
aluminum or magnesium (cases, cylinders, etc.)

Some chemicals and methods will work better than others on different parts. Some parts may degrade. Heat and pressure help to remove some contaminants, while soaking and an old toothbrush work for others.

I like the idea of the compact dishwasher due to its size. I like the idea of a used, regular dishwasher, which can be free! Good to have a variety of tools and options.

Philbert