New (old) 111cc Stihl Saw :)

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I swapped my as new Ms 180 with 2 in 1 sharpener, spare new chain, trac case and full service kit for a Stihl 076 Super upload_2020-5-29_2-18-48.gif

He couldn’t pull it over any more (an older chap) and just wanted a small light limbing saw.

He wanted 500 Australian dollars or the equivalent in another saw. I offered him cash or the kit above. Everywhere is sold out of saws with Covid so he was happy, I am happy and now I have another dinosaur to admire.

We met at the stihl dealer who got it running (just needed a new fuel filter) and then we did the swap.
Will strip and clean it and check the piston. Compression is joint dislocating and besides a few cracks (one from vibrations that covers the exhaust, and one in the back of the clutch cover), so far it’s good!
Came with 25” stihl original bar and chain.
E5EAF994-037C-407D-9DE2-0A3711090060.jpeg

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice. An operational chain brake is a rarity on those and there should be a decompression valve on the back under the trigger to make it easier to start.
Thank you! :) This doesn’t have a decomp valve just a bolt, I’ll likely just put one in when I come to sorting it out :)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
076's are all we used for years and years me and my brother's would get dad's hand me down 076's and continue to use them for years.
I remember out bush watching dad crushing one flat falling a big old Ironbark chit happens it sat on/pinched the bar and saw was crushed..
He thought the saw was lost so got the hell out of there at the very last sec trying to save the saw. But the saw actually fell out of the cut as the tree fell and landed next to the stump idling but the log bounced high and came down right on top of it a good 6 plus tonne of log butt! Lol
This is a piece of that saw from that day many moons ago for whatever reason I still have it..
20200529_151214.jpg

Last edited:

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
076's are all we used for years and years me and my brother's would get dad's hand me down 076's and continue to use them for years.
I remember out bush watching dad crushing one flat falling a big old Ironbark chit happens it sat on/pinched the bar and saw was crushed..
He thought the saw was lost so got the hell out of there at the very last sec trying to save the saw. But the saw actually fell out of the cut as the tree fell and landed next to the stump idling but the log bounced high and came down right on top of it a good 6 plus tonne of log butt! Lol
This is a piece of that saw from that day many moons ago for wherever reason I still have it..
View attachment 243229
Such a great memory Rogue! Thanks for sharing and the picture too :) did the saw get thrown away or kept for parts? I’d love to see any old photos of you or him cutting with them if you have any! What bars did you run?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Such a great memory Rogue! Thanks for sharing and the picture too :) did the saw get thrown away or kept for parts? I’d love to see any old photos of you or him cutting with them if you have any! What bars did you run?
Yeah my aunty has lots of pics from back then been meaning to call in and see if she can scan them and send em to me (e-mail)..
That's way back when we had a portable sawmill and the breaking down saw and bench saw run on diesel power cutting railway sleepers and we moved camp as needed to the timber.
As for bar's that's a hard one to answer as to not trigger guy's overseas they be saying it needs a 6 foot bar or ya ghey lol
We don't generally cut what they do i.e. (very soft wood compered to here) we are unlucky enough down here that some of our hardwoods are like cutting granite rock lol it takes power to pull cutters through that kind of hard fiberless timber efficiently.
But yeah 25/28ish was common for a 076 as a firewood saw here in AU used by joe blow homeowner your 076 looks to be just that a firewood saw with year's and year's of hard work still left in it.
We used to use the same logging/bush work/firewood 25/28ish .404 7pin (7 tooth spur to be correct I wouldn't read to much into the internet's spurs are bad is nothing wrong with spur sprockets a very long lasting sprocket) and I think from memory 32in for docking hole sleeper packs off to length would do one side then finish off the pack from the other that's before we got all modern and got a docking saw and docked them one by one as they came off the bench.
Couple of pics is packs of QLD sleepers 5 wide 6 high with the old 076's we would dock hole packs off without the saw even rasing sweat running .404 RS.
I'm just talking of my experience with Aussie hardwoods overseas is totally different timber they use the power of a saw in a different way i.e. big cc saw's to pull long bar's traditionally here we use big cc saw's with short bars just to pull a chain efficiently through our hardwoods.

As for parts for 076's I have a few but put it this way all well used clapped out well past it nothing of value..
3 (4).jpg 4 (12).JPG thumbnail_Log semi.jpg

Last edited:

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah my aunty has lots of pics from back then been meaning to call in and see if she can scan them and send em to me (e-mail)..
That's way back when we had a portable sawmill and the breaking down saw and bench saw run on diesel power cutting railway sleepers and we moved camp as needed to the timber.
As for bar's that's a hard one to answer as to not trigger guy's overseas they be saying it needs a 6 foot bar or ya ghey lol
We don't generally cut what they do i.e. (very soft wood compered to here) we are unlucky enough down here that some of our hardwoods are like cutting granite rock lol it takes power to pull cutters through that kind of hard fiberless timber efficiently.
But yeah 25/28ish was common for a 076 as a firewood saw here in AU used by joe blow homeowner your 076 looks to be just that a firewood saw with year's and year's of hard work still left in it.
We used to use the same logging/bush work/firewood 25/28ish .404 7pin (7 tooth spur to be correct I wouldn't read to much into the internet's spurs are bad is nothing wrong with spur sprockets a very long lasting sprocket) and I think from memory 32in for docking hole sleeper packs off to length would do one side then finish off the pack from the other that's before we got all modern and got a docking saw and docked them one by one as they came off the bench.
Couple of pics is packs of QLD sleepers 5 wide 6 high with the old 076's we would dock hole packs off without the saw even rasing sweat running .404 RS.
I'm just talking of my experience with Aussie hardwoods overseas is totally different timber they use the power of a saw in a different way i.e. big cc saw's to pull long bar's traditionally here we use big cc saw's with short bars just to pull a chain efficiently through our hardwoods.

As for parts for 076's I have a few but put it this way all well used clapped out well past it nothing of value..
View attachment 243233 View attachment 243234 View attachment 243235
Fantastic ! Where in Aussi are you now? I’m in Perth :)

really interesting points you mentioned, both my 07 and the 076 have hard nose bars, I guess their advantage is the lack of nose sprocket means it can’t get fouled, disadvantage I’m guessing it requires a little more power to pull it around the nose?

The story behind this one - a gentleman brought it and owned it for 10 years, he sold it to his brother who owned it for 5. Of those 5 years it sat for 3. Didn’t start when he came back to it, stihl shop put a new fuel filter in and it came back to life and now I have it!
I had fun starting the saw today, here it is, I edited 18 mins into 30 seconds for convenience ha. Blipped first pull on choke and started first pull on high idle :)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fantastic ! Where in Aussi are you now? I’m in Perth :)

really interesting points you mentioned, both my 07 and the 076 have hard nose bars, I guess their advantage is the lack of nose sprocket means it can’t get fouled, disadvantage I’m guessing it requires a little more power to pull it around the nose?

The story behind this one - a gentleman brought it and owned it for 10 years, he sold it to his brother who owned it for 5. Of those 5 years it sat for 3. Didn’t start when he came back to it, stihl shop put a new fuel filter in and it came back to life and now I have it!
I had fun starting the saw today, here it is, I edited 18 mins into 30 seconds for convenience ha. Blipped first pull on choke and started first pull on high idle :)
Saw's sounds solid!
Only down side to hardnose bars that I know of is cutting with the top of the bar will load the tip up and it can get hot fast.
I'm other side of the county in QLD.

Pony

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That idle sounds different to any of my 076's.
If it doesn't have the decomp under the throttle then it might be possible that it is really a 051 with a 076 top cover?
Does it have the manual oiler button?
When you pull it apart, the 076 has studs and nuts holding the cylinder down, the 051 has bolts.
All that aside I agree it doesn't seem to have done much work.
Whereabouts in qld rouge?
I'm currently in the Lockyer Valley, but have cattle properties in the Burnett Region.
Ripped a lot of posts with an 088 when they first came out, then when some dirty bugger stole that, I started using the 076's.
I still fall with a 066/064.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That idle sounds different to any of my 076's.
If it doesn't have the decomp under the throttle then it might be possible that it is really a 051 with a 076 top cover?
Does it have the manual oiler button?
When you pull it apart, the 076 has studs and nuts holding the cylinder down, the 051 has bolts.
All that aside I agree it doesn't seem to have done much work.
Whereabouts in qld rouge?
I'm currently in the Lockyer Valley, but have cattle properties in the Burnett Region.
Ripped a lot of posts with an 088 when they first came out, then when some dirty bugger stole that, I started using the 076's.
I still fall with a 066/064.
It has the 076 super tall intake, you can see the air filter it sitting high compared to a standard 076/051