New life for an old 10/22

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A while back my oldest son brought me an old beat to crap Stainless Ruger 10/22, that he bought at a farm sale. He picked it up for next to nothing and thought I could use it for parts. The rear sight and barrel band were missing and the stock was broken. The crown of the barrel was boogered up. The trigger broke at a creepy 7lbs. I stuck the gun in the corner of my gun room and forgot about it.
A couple of weeks ago, I pulled it apart. It was full of crud but other than needing a new extractor and spring, the action was in good shape.
My initial plan was to make it functional, add a cheap bull barrel, stick it in a Hogue rubber stock, add a cheap optic and use it as a beater around the farm. After thinking about it a bit more, I decided to go a different route.
I ordered a Deluxe Walnut stock, extractor and spring from Midway and a match grade tapered barrel from Shilen. I had a BX trigger , a weaver scope base, rings and a Leupold 2x7 rimfire scope, that I bought and never used.
Today, I finished putting it all together.
It was dark when I finished, so shooting it will have to wait.
image.jpeg

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A while back my oldest son brought me an old beat to crap Stainless Ruger 10/22, that he bought at a farm sale. He picked it up for next to nothing and thought I could use it for parts. The rear sight and barrel band were missing and the stock was broken. The crown of the barrel was boogered up. The trigger broke at a creepy 7lbs. I stuck the gun in the corner of my gun room and forgot about it.
A couple of weeks ago, I pulled it apart. It was full of crud but other than needing a new extractor and spring, the action was in good shape.
My initial plan was to make it functional, add a cheap bull barrel, stick it in a Hogue rubber stock, add a cheap optic and use it as a beater around the farm. After thinking about it a bit more, I decided to go a different route.
I ordered a Deluxe Walnut stock, extractor and spring from Midway and a match grade tapered barrel from Shilen. I had a BX trigger , a weaver scope base, rings and a Leupold 2x7 rimfire scope, that I bought and never used.
Today, I finished putting it all together.
It was dark when I finished, so shooting it will have to wait.
View attachment 148690

Damn sweet. I am impressed!

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. I have a few beaters I need to finish for the kids. I already have the aluminum bull barrels in pink and green. I just need to find time to put them together. Your post makes me want to rebuild my bull barrel 10/22 in that fashion!

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like 10/22s, cheap fun little rifles and with a little time and a little $$ can be made into super reliable little tack drivers. Good job op