High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

New LED shop lights interfering with radio!! Electricians???

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7CC43CDF-A34F-42B5-9573-CB95215E357E.jpeg AF9A541F-F9CF-4303-A1B1-ECB6106F4728.jpeg Hello everyone!
I was all excited to get rid of my old T12 8’ fluorescents with heavy ballasts. Only half of them were working and others flickered.
I found some 8’ LEDs with the same HO plug, so figured why not try them. Removed the ballast and wired it according to the instructions, tried the new lights and worked like a charm. Plenty of light and then some.
BUT, I go out to play around in the shop, turn the lights and then the radio. There was so much interference I could hardly hear the tunes! Some of you may not play the radio, but I absolutely love it and it’s a requirement for me.
I go and turn the lights off and the radio is clear as a bell. Turn on again...static!
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or come across this?

Here is the link for the lights I purchased. They received good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JG6X1H2#Ask

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a web press at work that would do this. We ran the antenna outside to fix it.

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed the same thing. I have a cordless drill charger that messes with the radio in the same way. I'd love to know the reason behind too.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had to move my radio. On my little drill press seem to work. Befor it was sitting just in front. Kinda strange. Dam led light lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard of LED lights doing this. Fluorescent yes. Tin bars, tin roofs yes. I would try running the antenna outside like @Dub11 said.
What brand of lights r they?

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that don't work, I can check with my brother. He's an electrician and he installs different types of led lighting a good bit. Right now they are doing a new Rooms To Go store that's being built.

Steve on Tapatalk

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard of LED lights doing this. Fluorescent yes. Tin bars, tin roofs yes. I would try running the antenna outside like @Dub11 said.
My fluorescent lights heavy ballast big fuggers screw me reception.
I leave the lights off and the Metal on to combat this.

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hmmm...maybe I’ll put some sort of antenna outside today and see if that works. The shed is is all metal, including the structure.
I posted the Amazon link in my first post

Are they on the same circiut, if so, put the radio on a different circuit.

Steve on Tapatalk

On a different circuit as well. I ran a few extension cords from my house to the shed to see if that would fix it...nope! :nusenuse:

Thanks for all the input and comments everyone!

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@S Sidwell
Please check with your brother if you can. I don’t mind wiring at all, so I can add whatever components if needed. My dad was an electrician many years ago and he showed me the basics when I was younger. He passed almost ten years ago already...hard to believe. He always loved to troubleshoot and diagnose electrical issues.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 234235 View attachment 234236 Hello everyone!
I was all excited to get rid of my old T12 8’ fluorescents with heavy ballasts. Only half of them were working and others flickered.
I found some 8’ LEDs with the same HO plug, so figured why not try them. Removed the ballast and wired it according to the instructions, tried the new lights and worked like a charm. Plenty of light and then some.
BUT, I go out to play around in the shop, turn the lights and then the radio. There was so much interference I could hardly hear the tunes! Some of you may not play the radio, but I absolutely love it and it’s a requirement for me.
I go and turn the lights off and the radio is clear as a bell. Turn on again...static!
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or come across this?

Here is the link for the lights I purchased. They received good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JG6X1H2#Ask
Is the interference static, or a loud hum?

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sure will ask.

Steve on Tapatalk

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is more like a heavy static

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It is more like a heavy static
Tin roofs bounce all kinds of waves back around the room. So do I-beams and overhead wiring. Put it all together...
Mount an antenna on a pole hardwired like an old portable phone on the hardline with touch tone. Use an alligator clip on the antenna. CB antennas work good for that or a long Stainless steel wire whip. Higher the better.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot to ask, are these lights UL approved? You're getting RF interference from them, more than likely they don't have a ferrite choker in the power feed side.

Steve on Tapatalk

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They don’t appear to be UL approved. I didn’t even think about that when ordering. Says I can return it for a full refund and free return shipping if I want. Seemed to be good replacements as I could bypass the ballast and keep my current fixtures.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot to ask, are these lights UL approved? You're getting RF interference from them, more than likely they don't have a ferrite choker in the power feed side.

Steve on Tapatalk
Good call Steve. Went over my head. Read the whole description on Amazon and no UL or any approval. Also they r no longer availible, leading me to think maybe they had a bad run. I dont know WTF a ferrite choker is but sounds good. I think those r next to the muffler bearings at auto zone:D

i personally would look in to something Sylvania. They make good stuff. If ya pay for the good stuff it will last. I have had good luck with Hyperikon products off of Amazon if u wanna got the cheaper route. IMG_8227.PNG

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steve on Tapatalk

Since you brought this up I was watching a car dude on YT and they had some cheap coil pack ( can't remember what motor) but the guy wrapped the main in some thin copper wire the covered in heat shrink to "quiet" them down

Maybe it could work in this application?

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know but lights that aren't UL approved use cheaper stuff, no ferrite chokers or anything to stop RF interference. The more you pay for UL listed lights, less problems you have. I use led lighting and have no trouble. Most expensive one I have was $50.00 just for the light, cable was $20 more which you have to have.

Steve on Tapatalk