High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Never thought I would be asked to work on a saw this old....

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So, another friend asks me to work on a saw for a coworker of his... He tells me it's a "pretty good sized Stihl".... I'm thinking Farm Boss or some other popular 60cc Creamsicle.... He brings it to me yesterday and says it has already had a carb kit and the points ignition replaced with electronic... It's a Stihl 08-S.. I was shocked at how old this saw appeared to be and yet still in very good condition with few minor exceptions....The ongoing issue is that it will start and idle fine, but when putting it in "larger wood" and applying more load to the engine it stalls out.

I have a 455 Rancher to verify the fix was correct on, and that stupid 575 returned with possible crank bearing issues again (I warned that customer that I could not guarantee a ling term fix as loose as the bearing was in the case), but anyway, I digress....

I'll snap a few pics of that old relic creamsicle and post em up...IMG_20160731_110406919.jpg IMG_20160731_110420157.jpg IMG_20160731_110425931.jpg

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A set of cases may be cheaper than you think for the 575, I just looked up a set for a 372, ~$150.00 and they come with new bearings already installed.

Joe

AM cases I presume?

Anyway, I'm not sure if they will go for it... From the get-go it was a "hey, if you an get it running cheap, let's give it a shot".... I'm not sure they will want to spend too much more on it.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AM cases I presume?

Anyway, I'm not sure if they will go for it... From the get-go it was a "hey, if you an get it running cheap, let's give it a shot".... I'm not sure they will want to spend too much more on it.

No, OEM from Husqvarna. I can check tomorrow when I get to work if you like.

Joe

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind, don't be in a rush... We just got home from a 10-day camping trip in the Adirondacks and have other things to get caught up on for the time being... Thanks. :)

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
First saw i ran when i was a boy...my grandad and me cut firewood together with me holding the timber on the saw horse. I sneaked a go when i could :D

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like it still has its original bar....nice one.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 08 (non super) was doing the same thing last time I ran it.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So, another friend asks me to work on a saw for a coworker of his... He tells me it's a "pretty good sized Stihl".... I'm thinking Farm Boss or some other popular 60cc Creamsicle.... He brings it to me yesterday and says it has already had a carb kit and the points ignition replaced with electronic... It's a Stihl 08-S.. I was shocked at how old this saw appeared to be and yet still in very good condition with few minor exceptions....The ongoing issue is that it will start and idle fine, but when putting it in "larger wood" and applying more load to the engine it stalls out.

I have a 455 Rancher to verify the fix was correct on, and that stupid 575 returned with possible crank bearing issues again (I warned that customer that I could not guarantee a ling term fix as loose as the bearing was in the case), but anyway, I digress....

I'll snap a few pics of that old relic creamsicle and post em up...View attachment 28737 View attachment 28738 View attachment 28739
Posable cause ("Long shot" ) on the stall out "IF" the engine comp is ok ..the carb settings are good plus fuel system in general is ok.. and spark is fine.
Clutch not able to slip when it needs to at the point when you over tax the saw when on the dogs. "Old "saw...pos "Old" clutch and bearing + could be crudded up.