Need trimmer/brush cutter buying advice

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So..... the time has come to retire the old Husky 325 and get a new, heavy duty trimmer. The uses will be horse pasture fence, steer pasture fencing, including saplings and those relentless sumacs, field edge weed and shrub maintenance too delicate for the excavator, and then trimming around the house when I have the time. The 325 did OK with a Forester blade, but lost its superpowers and started falling apart.

I've been looking at a NOS Dolmar MS-335.4 and a smaller Makita 4-stroke EM2650UH (handlebar) at my local Dolmar/Makita dealer's place. Both are ~$400+, but I could probably make a deal on the Dolmar. He gave me a great deal on a new Dolmar 5105 saw with the speed coil a few years ago. The other one I've been looking at is the 2-stroke Echo 3020T.

The Echo is a beast, but the Dolmar 4-stroke is not far behind. I'm leaning towards the Dolmar because I'd also like to support my local small dealer. Does anyone have experience with the Dolmar 4-strokers? Thanks.

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked to my local Makita/Dolmar dealer. I can get the Domar 335.4 for $369. I think I'm going to go with it, unless someone stops me.... :coleman:

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whelp, I used it for a couple of hours yesterday and today. It's a torquey little thang, and powered through lots of crappy stuff. I put a 4-star grass blade on it and cleaned up a ton of big burdock and poison parsnip. I am ordering a 9" Forester saw blade for the woody stuff. I have a 7" on the Husky, and that trimmer could run bigger too. I'm glad it has a harness, and it balances nicely and didn't feel that heavy. I'm impressed with the build quality, especially the beefy gear assembly.