av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, Good Morning. Has anyone seen this? The wire running from the coils on this 041EQ to the Stop switch is fried. The insulation looks to me as if it was cooked from the inside, but can’t say for sure. I’ll pull the rotor off and look deeper but this just got me. I mean the only time it’s supposed carry current is when the switch is flipped to ground, the engine stops and the electrons quit moving. All this happens in a split second. How does the wire melt in that time? 9B320316-DDE9-46E5-9729-84F31CEAC502.jpeg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well you've gotten me curious with it.
With the wire disconnected from the kill switch, do you still have a spark?

Warm all the way to the end it seems. Has the switch gotten packed up with oil and dust, thus providing a resistive but yet continual path to ground?
With a continuity test, is the switch in a permanently grounded/"off" state?
Of course our human reflex (me included!) to move the switch, may have voided a couple of questions already.

Also, What does the switch look like now?
Any signs of heat damage to it also?

How does the switch operate now?
Stuck, crusty or grabby or vague feeling like it's not clicking into position?

Any heat damage or arcing to things touching or nearby the wire or the switch?

Just my first thoughts from what your picture shows.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have verified that the switch is bad and have ordered a replacement. It will not ground the wire.
I have kind of flip flopped on this cause now I think it just may have been exposed to heat and that melted it. The wire on the other side of that grommet that leads to the coil is good. I replaced that wire with a quality, heat resistant wire. We’ll see how it does.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jim, I do believe you are missing the brownish plastic type insulator plate. It is thin and protects the carb uretor and wiring from cylinder//muffler mounting. I'll have to check an IPL tomm. or maybe someone can chime in here.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Tim ! I have the plate, it was removed for the pic.
I don’t recall how the wire was routed when I took it apart but I ran it under the plate to take advantage of the airflow there when I reassembled it. And I replaced the wire too.