lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone,
I recently got a Mac 10-10A. Motor is being swapped with a NOS short block I found. Was hoping to find out who would be good for getting the thing woods ported, or should I just strap it on and go? I am new to the old saw game, but it means a lot as my Pa had one when I was just a lad.

Thanks for enabling my CAD

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes indeed. I chatted with Steve, but with his recent illness and backlog he dissuaded me from having him do anything with it.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone,
I recently got a Mac 10-10A. Motor is being swapped with a NOS short block I found. Was hoping to find out who would be good for getting the thing woods ported, or should I just strap it on and go? I am new to the old saw game, but it means a lot as my Pa had one when I was just a lad.

Thanks for enabling my CAD

McCulloch was pretty good at squeezing all they could out of the 10 series from the factory. Porting would not yield the gains a modern saw would benefit from, mainly, compression boost. Most all the reputable builders here have done at least one and the results have been an improvement but, not really worth the cost vs gain. if you want it ported by all means get it ground on. It will be pretty neat!

I personally would just put the new short block in it and run. Most all these old saws are worn out and a fresh rebuild is a huge improvement.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve only ported 1 PM700 and got about 20% better times. With them being put together “differently “ than what I’m used to, I decided it wasn’t worth my time to try and learn another chassis.

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think I am gonna put this thread to bed. I decided to do this build myself. Leaving the saw stock. I want to see if I can get it right (shameless beg to all the Mac gurus) and really want to see how an old saw will work in my fleet. Thanks gents for the input.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A fresh 10-10 is a pretty nice 54 cc saw. I just went through a late model 10-10A with new rings, seals, PTO side bearing, carburetor rebuild, fuel tank gasket, you get the drift.

Post your questions in the McCulloch Chainsaw thread in the Brand Specific Section and you will get better response.

Mark