• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m in dire need of a new big trimmer, as I’ve got some crazy heavy stuff that not even my modded Stihl 91 can take down. I’m looking at a 2 stroke 30cc+, but still relatively lightweight trimmer. A 4mix would also work just fine. My dealer stocks Echo, Stihl, Redmax, Husqvarna, and Shindaiwa. A poll has been created.

Cheers, Brett

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What attachment/blade are you using? That is the first order of bidness to figure out. You can go from a bit of string trimming here and there to all out bush hogging with a stock km90 if you switch to a 3 bladed metal cutter.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fire!
Be a torch or molotov cocktail it'll getter dun quick!

If it was me I see what's going to have the best handles and shoulder strap and does it have a driveshaft vs cable.

In my recent searches or trimmers I keep seeing the Husqvarna pro stuff with their anti vibe being the best.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a Stihl 131 and echo 3020T at work. I always grab the echo! We demoed it and the Shinny version, and they ran the same, but I like the way the Echo felt better. I have really been impressed with the Echo trimmers we have. Also have a 2620 and 2620t.

If it is major stuff, would a brush cutter work better?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your gonna run a blade a lot I would prefer shaft drive vs flex cable. It is more rugged. String head all the time? Flex cable is just fine. Just my opinion.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EFCO DS3500 Bike Bar Brushcutter. 1.9hp and 17 lbs. it's a little on the heavy side. It's there biggest right now.
I have the 27cc pole saw and absolutely love it. Again a little on the heavy side though this is the trimmer version below
EFCO DS2700 Loop handle trimmer. 1.3hp and 12.5lbs.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
JMO Youngtexan, But taking the guard off and running longer than normal lines will kill the performance of that 2 stroker and cause overheating and lugging. Two main reasons for the guard is consistent string lengths and operator protection!! Too short of string and you are constantly overrevving the engine and out of the powerband. If you are cutting very heavy brush the three point isn't ass effective as a round 8-10" blade with notched knife areas to cut. I can take a pic later and post it if in question. Hope this helps and one other thing -SHIN PROTECTION & FULL CLEAR FACE SHIELD IS A MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard Stihl vibrates a lot (I've experienced it too) and that Husqvarna doesn't.

I'd think a flex shaft may be more forgiving with a metal blade because a lot of torque is transferred if you hit something that brings it to an immediate stop.

I think the 3 blade like you have is best for heavy duty fast brush cutting, but the round blade mentioned above would be better for sawing through stuff too big for the 3 blade. The reason why I think the 3 blade is best is because with fewer blades that stick out farther, there's more time between each tooth for brush to enter to get a bigger bite taken out of it. But the edge geometry is terrible at cutting wood bigger than .5-1"

I agree with what's been mentioned above about string length. Long string quickly sucks up power and gas worse cutting performance, and running without any guard is a messy pain. Especially with the metal cutter which can throw hard woody chunks at your face.

Also, I've found the 3 point blade so useful for grass that I and others would prefer to use it all the time. You just can't get really close to fences walls and rocks though.

Last edited:

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a 525 LST from Bruce on the black Friday deal. The extra torque has been fantastic for trimming thick grass around the pasture and the av built into the handle is great. I'm more than happy with it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a 525 LST from Bruce on the black Friday deal. The extra torque has been fantastic for trimming thick grass around the pasture and the av built into the handle is great. I'm more than happy with it.

I seen a review on that husqvarna anti vibe it looks slick. Same guy said the 2620t gets after it better but makes his fingies num real quick like.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seen a review on that husqvarna anti vibe it looks slick. Same guy said the 2620t gets after it better but makes his fingies num real quick like.
The LST is kinda geared down for thick stuff so I'm sure there's faster trimmers out there but it works good for it's intended purpose. I don't notice it being slower, at least compared to the old Makita.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the stihl fs131 but haven’t run any of the other brands so can’t comment on them. I know lots of people don’t like the 4mix engines but personally the 3 I have run flawlessly. The br600 has a bunch of hours on it the trimmer is next in line and the pole saw not a ton but all are relatively quiet pretty easy on fuel and have good torque.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gave up on string a long while ago .Blade heads now of days .I found an alternate to high priced Stihl blades and I think a bag of 50 sets was less than 3 sets from Stihl .I use about 3-4 sets a season . I think I have 3 trimmers with blade heads and maybe two or three that still have string heads of which probably won't even start now it's been so long since I've used them .

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you tried a Stihl polycut head? I run one on a fs110r and do about a 1/4 mile of heavy drainage ditch growth every month. The Stihl fiber string is awesome stuff too. It hardly ever breaks off and slices through heavy grass like nothing.

For brush I run a fs250 bike handle with a 4 edge or saw blade. Thing is a monster.

timberjack90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was Using them plastic blades on our stihl's to and had the same issue, so I traced a new one out on 1/8 inch plate and made steel blades works awesome