Need .404 skip info

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got a .404 full skip set up on my 9010 Makita. Best recommendation for setting the raker height? Thanks.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’re usually between .025” and .035”. Your amount of hook will make a difference on where you set them. More hook needs taller rakers to keep the chain from stalling
Thanks for hook info. My feeble mind is how to set my depth from the cutter to the raker. Now on my chains I use a Husky gauge that sets each raker to its own cutter. The gauge butts up against the previous cutter and you set the raker to the cutter. The gap between the cutters on the skip chain is too far apart to use the gauge. My question is how do you guys using .404 skip set the raker height to its cutter? Thanks.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for hook info. My feeble mind is how to set my depth from the cutter to the raker. Now on my chains I use a Husky gauge that sets each raker to its own cutter. The gauge butts up against the previous cutter and you set the raker to the cutter. The gap between the cutters on the skip chain is too far apart to use the gauge. My question is how do you guys using .404 skip set the raker height to its cutter? Thanks.
I lay my file across the top of the teeth and use feeler gauges underneath. But I use a grinder so my cutters are the same length. I’d imagine you’d be close enough doing that if the cutters are similar length

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lay my file across the top of the teeth and use feeler gauges underneath. But I use a grinder so my cutters are the same length. I’d imagine you’d be close enough doing that if the cutters are similar length
Thanks. I’m a retired machinist so I’m anal/stupid about size. It will take awhile but I have a chain vise for sharpening set up in a vise. I have an indicator set on the anvil that I can slide the cutter under the indicator head, then the raker, do the math and file.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just hoping for a quicker but accurate way.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You still use the same gauge. It doesn't need to butt up against the back of the front cutter. Top of the raker hooks in against the top-left-side of gauge slot.
Opposite cutters = Opposite side of SAME slot.

Just make sure the base slot sits on the top of strap as it may only rest on the one side.
Best results are a snug chain and being mindful that it's sitting all the way in the grove. Poor quality chain can get stiff at the rivets and can be overlooked.
As to say, a good deal only starts with the price. Seldom worth the headaches.

Is the gauge you have a 404 that you were happy with?

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gauge I have is a Husky progressive for 3/8. I’ll have to do some research if it will work or I need a specific gauge for .404. Thanks for the explanation, after I read it a light bulb went on. DUH!

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gauge I have is a Husky progressive for 3/8. I’ll have to do some research if it will work or I need a specific gauge for .404. Thanks for the explanation, after I read it a light bulb went on. DUH!
I can assure you, you're not the first person to think it's not the right tool for skip chain. 3/8 soft setting has the same distance between base and slot as .404 soft setting. .325 hard is also the same at 19mm. Difference with .404 gauge is it is/was?? thinner at .75 mm vs something like .87 mm. The cutter and drive are slightly further apart with the .404 , hence the thinner gauge. Some guys would use the .404 soft setting on the 3/8 chain just for a bit extra.
the 3/8 hard setting is 1 mm longer than .404 making it milder.

Carlton or Stihl 3/8 should give you a bit more if you have problem finding .404
worth owning one of them

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to order a Husky .404 raker gauge, be here beginning of next week, $15 shipped.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
WOW, expensive. I would see them as less as $3.95 in saw shops so I'd grab 3 or 4.
On the high end was $7.95
It's all good though. You are probable not going to keep losing them like somebody I know.
When the teeth get shorter,lower & further from the raker then it won't be as aggressive as degree is lost between cutter leading edge and high point of raker. Assuming you are using hardwood setting, then if you start to feel this perhaps after half chain then you can use the 3/8 soft setting to finish out the chain or .404 soft setting will give you a bit more yet.
As mentioned above, .404 was slightly thinner of a gauge with same slot to base measurement. You can check to see if that's still the case.

Last edited: