Narrow kerf factory square

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just getting into square filing, and noticed the kerf is a lot wider than I'm used to. I have run Stihl RS in round for years, but the Oregon 72CLO84G I just bought has a wide kerf, so I converted a loop of RS to square today and I really like the result. Now I wanna find factory square thats narrow, what says the resident square guru's?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just getting into square filing, and noticed the kerf is a lot wider than I'm used to. I have run Stihl RS in round for years, but the Oregon 72CLO84G I just bought has a wide kerf, so I converted a loop of RS to square today and I really like the result. Now I wanna find factory square thats narrow, what says the resident square guru's?
Mebbe find square ground Stihl chain? If you'll remind me tomorrow I'll get some calipers and check the cutter width of some Stihl chisel chain and the cutter width of some Oregon chisel chain.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just measured some std Oregon and Stihl 3/8” square and kerf is the same. Cutters are about .175” wide and outside cutter to outside cutter is .250”.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just saw that you measured stihl square chain..the chain I converted to square was 3\8 RS round originally..Factory square is wider in the Kerf compared to RS round..
Thanks for the measurements though.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crazy..I'm going to have to measure the actual chains on the bench now, the cut in the wood is a LOT wider on the Oregon..similar to the old stihl RSK compared to RS..off the cuff wondering if top plate angle can drag the cutter out wider..hmm thanks for the measurements..
I was reading something somewhere recently probably while looking for Duracut about angle pulling the chain off into the sidewall of the cut.

tek9tim

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never worried about kerf width. Chains aren't new for very long. Now that I'm using the Simington, I find that when I grind a new chain to the profile I like, the kerf gets narrowed up enough that it'd make an RSFLK about the same width as an older Oregon CJ.