High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

My Split Second Splitter was Delivered Today

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
After a lot of thinking on what splitter I wanted to get I decided to get a Split Second. Jake at Split Second responded to my emails quickly and I talked to him on the phone one day and he knew his product. When we (my Dad is half owner) ordered it my Dad talked to Linda and he said she was also very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the splitter. Linda even returned his called today on her way home from work on her cell phone and she said don't hesitate to call her if we have any questions.

The other splitter I was considering was a Super Split HD. I chose the Split Second over it because of the retractable tongue, the telescopic jack, lower engine placement for lower center of gravity, wider stance and adjustable height.

I got the Split Second splitter bundle which includes the splitter, log lifter, tool tray, and cover. https://splitsecondlogsplitter.com/Products/Product-Details/ProductID/14Then I also got the the log dolly. They are currently doing free shipping.

The splitter was "boxed" well. The splitter was pretty much assembled when it was delivered. The tongue had to be installed (2 pins) and bolt the table on. The engine had to be filled with oil. I also installed an hour meter before it was ever started. I need to get some holders for the wire on my hour meter yet.

The engine started on the first pull. The Subaru is a great running engine. The splitter has really impressed me. So far it has split everything on the first hit. It is ridiculously fast. The table is nice and big to leave splits on there that need resplit. I have not used it with the log lifter yet, I just put it on but it should make things more productive. I plan on using it as a staging table.

If anybody has any questions or if there is anything you would like know about the splitter or any thing you would like to see a picture of let me know.

It came on 2 pallets.

Doing some splitting

After 2.4 hours

After I got the log lifter on it

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So...about that two-handed engagement, does it look like it would be easy enough to circumvent the 'safety feature' to make it one handed?

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So...about that two-handed engagement, does it look like it would be easy enough to circumvent the 'safety feature' to make it one handed?

I have not had the cover off it yet.

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice video. I like it.
Pull the cover and check it out.
If it is like the SS there should be grease zerks for the flywheel shaft.
I also would not bypass the safety if someone else also uses it. What do you gain, verses, what you could loose.
Sweet...
Question: Where did you get the hour meter? Still on my to do list.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Splitter only, $2999, the bundle is $3299 (includes splitter, log lift, tool tray, and cover)
That's a lot of jack there man, I guess my hydraulic will have to do me for now. Man that sure is alot quicker though, always somthing to make me unsatisfied [emoji24]

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a lot of jack there man, I guess my hydraulic will have to do me for now. Man that sure is alot quicker though, always somthing to make me unsatisfied [emoji24]

Faster and more fuel efficient. It won't be anytime soon, but I'd love an electric super split. Honestly one of the things I like the least about hydraulic splitters, is the noise.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No doubt inertia splitters are fast .Now there is a reason they installed a "two hand" safety .That thing could lop a hand off before you could blink an eye,gone .I wouldn't try to bypass it myself .
I guess it depends on the nut behind the wheel. This nut would roll that splitter off a cliff if I had to put up with that cack-handed, unproductive, restrictive, lawyer-induced 'safety' mechanism. But like Crane mentioned, if there are brain-dead or merely absent-minded people or people you simply can't be sure have more than a few IQ points to rub together who might be using the splitter and you don't want liability issues, then probably best to not mess with the safety thing. That said, if such people are operating a chainsaw cutting those rings, or felling the trees, it makes one wonder how they managed to stay alive long enough to need a splitter.

There is also the warrantee issue too. However, I wonder if there is enough travel in the main handle to engage the safety before engaging the gears, by only using the main handle and not actually messing with the mechanism 'under the hood'.

Apart from production, flow, and ergonomics (RSI is real and I have felt it after long weeks using my kinetic) take a look at the way that rack returns. Notice a bounce as it gets back? Momentarily the rack is moving in the very same direction as the top of the pinion gears. If the user has a good enough flow (not always possible at all, but when it is it is such a wonderful sweet spot), they can engage the rack at that precise moment. Said engagement is absolutely silent, no vibrations, and I am convinced it reduces gear wear.

There are other subtleties not immediately obvious to non-owners and some users that are useful but impossible with the two-handed engagement. But they are even more nuanced than the point I mention above so probably not worth mentioning. I guess it should also be acknowledged that I come from a country with a no-blame social accident insurance scheme, which may cloud my judgement a little.

Last edited:

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Faster and more fuel efficient. It won't be anytime soon, but I'd love an electric super split. Honestly one of the things I like the least about hydraulic splitters, is the noise.
If not needing to move from job to job, I have often daydreamed about the electric versions of these splitters.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If not needing to move from job to job, I have often daydreamed about the electric versions of these splitters.

Yeah, there is the problem of needing electricity, but I love the quiet so much that I think it'd be worth it for me. I suppose you could run a genny if need be, but then you're adding another layer of expense, inconvenience, and maintenance.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well say what you want about safety .Here's the deal though my now deceased wife was an amputee caused by someone bypassing the safeties on a 1500 ton Minster punch press .Just saying----

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That brings up a good point that a few kinetic owners have discovered. Never. Ever.

Ever have two or more people operating the splitter at any one time. By this I mean, never have someone else whose brain is not connected to the arms that are operating the engagement handle, on the other end of the splitter taking splits off the table. At some point, that 'stacker' is likely to have a brain-fade moment and try grabbing something in front of the wedge just as the operator engages the handle. I'm not the first nor will I be the last person who will have encountered this. Treat third parties as imbeciles and don't let them near the splitter while you are operating it, unless they have proven to not be a sandwich short of a picnic upstairs.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Glad you pulled the trigger and got you a flywheel/kinetic splitter. Good to see you're enjoying using it.

I really like it. I've already found out I have zero use for my old splitter now.

Very nice video. I like it.
Pull the cover and check it out.
If it is like the SS there should be grease zerks for the flywheel shaft.
I also would not bypass the safety if someone else also uses it. What do you gain, verses, what you could loose.
Sweet...
Question: Where did you get the hour meter? Still on my to do list.

Thanks about the video.
I'll pull the cover and get some pics. It does have zerks on the flywheel shaft. Here is a maintenance video on it.
At this time I don't see point in bypassing the safety. Another safety that it has is you have to pull up on the handle while it is going out or it goes out of "gear" and returns.
The hourmeter is from ebay. It also has a tach on it. You can set a maintenance minder on it and maybe a job timer. The tach looks like it is right on with my tiny tach. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231987106998?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IThttp://www.ebay.com/itm/231987106998?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I have been putting hourmeters on all of my small gas engines to see how much they really get used.