Muffler modded Homelite Super XL.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never came across a blue one yet. I have had my hands on several red SXL's though... There are four in the shed right now. A fifth may have came in the mail today...

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got the same saw as yours did it make it much louder than before .

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
6:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On your 460 with dual stacks, why have them exit out of the front muffler casing like that?

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
4:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
On your 460 with dual stacks, why have them exit out of the front muffler casing like that?
I have it both ways actually. One with them aiming out front and the other to the side. I loved the looks of them aiming out front so I made it that way. But I made the other version because it makes it kinda hard cutting big trees with the muffler stacks in the way. 004.JPG

tla100

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I thought the SXL could not get any louder. Mine has had a gutted muffler for years, it is an old blue, '68 model I think. It was my Grandpa's big saw and cut lots of wood. I have cut tons of wood with it too, but it sits on the shelf now. I should gas it up and run it again. They scream. But my MS440 cuts so much nicer and faster.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I thought the SXL could not get any louder. Mine has had a gutted muffler for years, it is an old blue, '68 model I think. It was my Grandpa's big saw and cut lots of wood. I have cut tons of wood with it too, but it sits on the shelf now. I should gas it up and run it again. They scream. But my MS440 cuts so much nicer and faster.
Yeah, I love my 460. haha But the ol Homelite is a blast.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They still have their place I can't remember all the one's I have fixed or tuned up for people they still cut alot of firewood around here

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They are great old saws, I have a XL automatic, same as a newer super, and a blue xl-12. The early xl-12 just had a stack for a exhaust, you could check the piston with out pulling the muffler. I always where ear protection when using mine.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why? I've never felt a Super XL was held back at all.... early ones had nothing but a straight stack off the cylinder like lots of older reed valve saws.

I've got three XLs right now too...
Mine cut pretty good stock to, I like stacks so I made a muffler with one. lol I will say the different design made the saw snappier and it seems to have a bit my low end.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Lombard comango is a eardrum pounding machine
The Comango is basically a homey Xl with more displacement .
As a matter of record this was Homelites answer to the 10 series McCullochs and the most copied design of any chainsaw .They are all loud even with all the baffles in place .

It's hard to say how many companies used this design which came in many displacements .The largest I've heard of was in the 80 cc range .The examples I have are Remington,Lombard and Homelite .