Muffler Mod Questions

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As the title states, I have some questions about muffler mods...

I've cut fish gills on my 261s and 441. I've open up and removed baffles on 026s, 360s, etc. All have seen improvements. Without doubt.

On my larger saws, 460/461/066, I've only added the OEM dual port muffler front case and removed the screen. I have read through every thread I can find on modding them and found various recommendations. My questions are as follows:

1. Do you modify the internal baffle? Open up side holes, remove it totally, create a front hole in it, etc?
  2. Do you open up the factory port on the pto side of the saw in combination with the dual port cover, in combination to the baffle mods. I've watched the video of Julian and Tree Monkey's testing on port number and location - their results indicate the more flow, the better.
  3. Does the 460/461/066 saws need back pressure at the baffle to retain torque? What are the trade-offs, if any, to no baffle?
Thanks in advance!

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As the title states, I have some questions about muffler mods...

I've cut fish gills on my 261s and 441. I've open up and removed baffles on 026s, 360s, etc. All have seen improvements. Without doubt.

On my larger saws, 460/461/066, I've only added the OEM dual port muffler front case and removed the screen. I have read through every thread I can find on modding them and found various recommendations. My questions are as follows:

1. Do you modify the internal baffle? Open up side holes, remove it totally, create a front hole in it, etc?
  2. Do you open up the factory port on the pto side of the saw in combination with the dual port cover, in combination to the baffle mods. I've watched the video of Julian and Tree Monkey's testing on port number and location - their results indicate the more flow, the better.
  3. Does the 460/461/066 saws need back pressure at the baffle to retain torque? What are the trade-offs, if any, to no baffle?
Thanks in advance!
You will get a mixed answer on to running a baffle or not I think it all depends on if the saw is all stalk or or if the cylinder has had any port work done to it if you were running a stalk cylinder I would just open up the front of the baffle and most definitely open up the pto side outlet hole. I would personally put screen's back in but that's just me.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You will get a mixed answer on to running a baffle or not I think it all depends on if the saw is all stalk or or if the cylinder has had any port work done to it if you were running a stalk cylinder I would just open up the front of the baffle and most definitely open up the pto side outlet hole. I would personally put screen's back in but that's just me.

Fair enough on the baffle and the pto side opening.

Why put the screens back in? I don't cut on USFS land...

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fair enough on the baffle and the pto side opening.

Why put the screens back in? I don't cut on USFS land...
Just for safety and they don't restricted the exhaust that much and in most state's it don't matter where your running you're saw you must run them screen's..........

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
on the saw you pr wanting to do.. get a cheap am exhaust and play around....when you think you’ve sussed the magic holes, as it don’t matter how they look, if you weld them back up
Then Make the oem how you think it should be..

Loud is not what I like,thou... the 461 dp jungle works well..