Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I went this year and figured some of you guys would be into the chainsaw races or tractor stuff or both.

http://www.hcsea.com/summershow.php

the steam engines, tractors and vintage tractor pulling were pretty cool, i didn't take many pics because there were a lot of Amish folks there and when I was a child and we visited Amish country in Pennsylvania the driver on the buggy ride sternly told us no pictures of the people as they believed it was sacrilegious in some way.
On a side note that same driver pulled over the buggy and offered my father his switch to beat us with for being unruly children but said that since my father was larger he might want to get his own switch because he was legally allowed to use one as large as his thumb. He seemed dead serious.
Tractor pics:
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG

I was surprised at how long the tractor races lasted, I had assumed they would be over in about 5 seconds but they go on for minutes with a lot of back and forth and gear changes and breaking and craziness, I actually enjoyed it, which surprised me
IMG_0538.JPG

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course I went for the chainsaw racing like any good red blooded American :risas3:

The organization for the chainsaw racing stuff was pretty terrible.
Apparently this was only the second year for these events and it seemed tossed together.
I will say there were more spectators there than at any show/gtg i have attended, they literally had bleachers full of people watching.
When I contacted them about what the sizes or classes or prizes might be they didn't know and referred me to a local gentleman. I made several calls and left messages and then on the third call I got an answer from someone who said she was only there one day a week and didn't know about the races but would ask the gentleman in charge to call me.
The guy in charge called me back 2 days before the event and when I asked what there would be in the way of races if I brought my saws and came to race he said just bring it on down and we will have a race for it. I really had to pump him for information and he said there would be the pros racing in the morning (I had found this on the schedule) and then the amateur race at 1:00 (also on the schedule).
I asked if I would be a pro or an amateur as I have never raced in a organized sanctioned event but my equipment is pretty good.
"oh you dont have the saws to race with the pros" was his response.
I asked what kind of restrictions were on the amateur races... "oh just one race, its open class".
Q: any limits on CC?
A: unlimited
Q: I am driving a couple hours, will i be facing two piece heads and pipe saws in the amateur race, I want to bring the right saw.
A: no nothing like that
Q: Cold start or Hot start
A: well we haven't thought about that, we will probably have a pre-race meeting and just let the guys decide.

So that wasn't exactly helpful in figuring out what saw to run, though it pretty much eliminated the smaller saws.
I ended up setting up three saws just in case
First was the Mastermind Stihl 084 arctic with a HT1 heavily modified racing carb from Jon Rupley and a 3/8" .050 race chain from Squarefile, it ended up being too hard to cold start, like 1 out of 11 tries in testing, so I figured to take it along in case we went hot start.
Next I set up the Jon Rupley Pioneer P61 with an Art Martin 3/8" .050 race chain that I had been testing, it was dead even with a nice chain John Reilly sent me on this saw and being as Art and Jon were buddies it seemed like the right choice for that saw, its a 6 cube in case there was a limit and even though it is a big awkward melon it starts fairly easy once warm.
Last I set up my ECSaws MS461 with a new 60DL 3/8".050 that Squarefile sent me recently, just in case there was some kind of size limit, and it is an easy cold start normally.

Julie and I drove up early in the day on Saturday and as we were walking towards the grandstand area they were having two man crosscut competition.
I saw some names I recognized.
IMG_0522.JPG

I grabbed some video of a few of the races and then realized the PA announcer was talking about an amateur stock saw race coming up next!!
I headed down to the tent to register even though the nice lady taking names and having us sign the release didnt know any of the rules or who was racing, etc.

In short order they called us onto the track and told us we had to wear chaps and helmet, (which they had a couple of) and we would all run in the order we had signed up on a stock used MS362 with Stihl semi-chisel round filed chain in an 8" x 8" aspen cant, cold start, no need to choke as the saw was warm
same saw same wood one after the other, there were perhaps 12-16 competitors
Julie got video of my run which was nothing spectacular and didn't film any others.
Nathan Helsel ran before I did and had a really good time compared to the others before me.
I ran a decent close second to Nathan and the guys after me were not as fast in the wood as I was, so I was feeling pretty good.
As the last couple guys were lining up to take their shot at the Aspen, I got a call from my buddy Shawn and he had arrived and was wondering where the races were going to be held that afternoon.
I told him to hurry over to the grandstand and he could probably get a run in the cant for the stock saw, that we didnt know was going to happen.
He rushed over and slapped on some chaps to become that last competitor....and beat the best time by a little over 3/10 of a second
Son of A Biichon
Only first place got a prize for the race, a sports type shirt with festival champion style wording on it
Just video of me because the other guys were Amish and Shawn showed up at the last minute

I had lunch -
IMG_0526.JPG

Yeah they stick cheese sauce and BBQ sauce and pulled pork and BBQ sauce and shredded cheese and banana peppers and BBQ sauce on the loaded fries

Last edited:

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They started the 1:00 session with the Pros running most pipe saws in an exhibition, they had some kind of points system that combined with the other timber sports competitions through the day with team based on states.
Mostly older guys with a lot of racing experience.
very fast saws with mostly great operators

After signing up for the open amateur race it was go time.
The guy in charge had a pre-race meeting with the competitors for the open amateur race - everyone except shawn and I had a Stihl MS661 with the front muffler covers drilled with at least five smaller holes, one competitor also was running a max-flo set up. They decided cold start with 2 cuts instead of three.
I went with the P61 and Shawn ran his Husqvarna 390, stout firewood saw with factory air filter and choke.

The first competitor ran a decent time but it didn't look unbeatable in the 6.5 second range
Next up was Shawn and he laid down a smooth fluid run with a good time of about 3.5 seconds.

I was up third and was concentrating on beating Shawn, instead of doing what all the guys have been telling me to do to have a fast run.
Well.....
So very badly done about 12.5 seconds...
The rest of the guys followed and the fastest of them was in the 6 seconds flat range.
They announced Shawn as the winner and then the guy in charge asked him if his saw was ported and he said yes.
The guy had a meeting with everyone else and said basically that we all got beat by a cheater.
None of the other competitors seemed to feel that way as all had saws modified to one degree or another, I kept my mouth shut till the other guys said they were fine with the results and then I told the organizer that the info he provided led us to bring the saw we brought.
I let him know you grow an event by attracting more participants and paying customers not by alienating them.
Shawn ended up with a nice shirt and I got a video of my wife laughing as I stalled my chainsaw:risas3::risas3:

I really wish there was an easy way to find all the local races, it is a ton of fun, regardless of how I do. The GTG Ryan had this spring was 100 Chainsaw Badassery, I would do that every weekend in a heartbeat.
Dave

Last edited:

birddogtg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They started the 1:00 session with the Pros running most pipe saws in an exhibition, they had some kind of points system that combined with the other timber sports competitions through the day with team based on states.
Mostly older guys with a lot of racing experience.
very fast saws with mostly great operators

After signing up for the open amateur race it was go time.
The guy in charge had a pre-race meeting with the competitors for the open amateur race - everyone except shawn and I had a Stihl MS661 with the front muffler covers drilled with at least five smaller holes, one competitor also was running a max-flo set up. They decided cold start with 2 cuts instead of three.
I went with the P61 and Shawn ran his Husqvarna 390, stout firewood saw with factory air filter and choke.

The first competitor ran a decent time but it didn't look unbeatable in the 6.5 second range
Next up was Shawn and he laid down a smooth fluid run with a good time of about 3.5 seconds.

I was up third and was concentrating on beating Shawn, instead of doing what all the guys have been telling me to do to have a fast run.
Well.....
So very badly done about 12.5 seconds...
The rest of the guys followed and the fastest of them was in the 6 seconds flat range.
They announced Shawn as the winner and then the guy in charge asked him if his saw was ported and he said yes.
The guy had a meeting with everyone else and said basically that we all got beat by a cheater.
None of the other competitors seemed to feel that way as all had saws modified to one degree or another, I kept my mouth shut till the other guys said they were fine with the results and then I told the organizer that the info he provided led us to bring the saw we brought.
I let him know you grow an event by attracting more participants and paying customers not by alienating them.
Shawn ended up with a nice shirt and I got a video of my wife laughing as I stalled my chainsaw:risas3::risas3:

I really wish there was an easy way to find all the local races, it is a ton of fun, regardless of how I do. The GTG Ryan had this spring was 100 Chainsaw Badassery, I would do that every weekend in a heartbeat.
Dave

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man dave, those were a couple gnarly 3120s. Your humility, as always, is second only to your colossal failure. In the words of your wife "LOL".
a couple of Jonsereds 111S both with and without pipe too, I must have missed the Stihls :(