MSA H1 Arborist's Helmet

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the opportunity to evaluate a new MSA brimless safety helmet, outfitted with a mesh face shield, and hearing muffs, for forestry use.

IMG_4556.jpg

It's easy to get confused with interchanged terms like 'hard hat' and 'helmet; and with similar styles of head protection being used for rock climbing, elevated work, search and rescue, recreational sports, etc.

This is an ANSIZ89.1-2014 / EN12492 certified helmet that can be used for many applications, with the right accessories. It is similar in appearance to some of the Petzl and KASK style helmets. The no-brim style, and chin straps, reduce tangling in branches, and falling off at elevation, although, these type of helmets appear popular with many ground workers as well.

IMG_4561.jpg

I requested the face screen and ear muffs, as they are required by some of the groups I cut with, although, others may have different preferences.

https://us.msasafety.com/climbing-helmet

https://us.msasafety.com/Head-Protection/Hard-Hats/V-Gard®-H1-Safety-Helmet/p/000060003700001001

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Helmet Types

A 'standard' 'forestry helmet' is typically a hard hat with a front brim. A lot of guys in the Pacific-Northwest prefer full brim helmets for protection against sun and rain. And, as noted, a brimless helmet is less likely to get tangled in branches, such as a climbing arborist faces.

All three of these styles are most commonly seen as Type I helmets, according to the current ANSI classifications, designed to protect against impact from above. Type II helmets also provide protection for impact from the sides; they are typically larger, with a full foam liner, similar to that used in many bicycle helmets.

Helmets can also be rated for electrical protection (any helmet with a vent automatically gets the lowest electrical rating), suitability for extremely hot or cold environments, etc. Then, rated accessories can be added for specific applications.

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg
The vented helmet I received is rated as ANSI Type I, Class C, HT (high temperature) and LT (low temperature). In addition to the four point, ratchet suspension, it has rigid foam attached inside the top of the helmet shell. A space between the suspension and the foam, in addition to the vents, allows air flow to reduce heat build up.

Overall, the USA manufactured helmet feels very well made, solid, and professional.
My helmet weighs 18.3 ounces by itself.
Mesh face screen weighs 4.9 ounces*.
Ear muffs weigh 9.1 ounces*.
Total Weight: 32.3 ounces, or a little over 2 pounds (*weights of different accessories will vary).

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Complexity

It may sound funny to discuss complexity with a basic piece of PPE, but there is a lot going on with the pivoting, ratchet suspension, side and chin straps, etc. The helmet and suspension come pre-assembled, but the side and chin straps need to be adjusted to the user. It is not as intuitive as some basic helmets that I have worn.

Once adjusted, I learned to pull the back of the suspension band down, each time I put the helmet on, to 'seat' it on my head; then adjust the ratchet; and lastly fasten the chin strap.

The manual that accompanies the helmet is larger than those that I get for some chainsaws! 27 languages and 86 pages, plus manuals for the visors, ear muffs, etc. This is because MSA is marketing the helmet internationally, and has to translate the instructions for many countries: There are really only about 3 pages for each language, but it could be a fun thing to explore while quarantined!

IMG_4560.jpg

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Accessories

It is very easy to attach and remove the mesh visor. I like this, since I frequently do this for travel, to minimize damage to the visor / face screen when packed with other gear. It is not always easy to do this with some other forestry helmets.

Raising the visor causes the helmet to slide back slightly, even with the chin strap in place, due to the sweatband, which is attached along one edge only. I needed to hold one hand on top of the helmet while raising the visor, and was thinking about ways to better secure the sweatband.

Then I put the ear muffs on.

Once the ear muffs are installed, and in place, the helmet really feels 'bomb proof'. The helmet does not slide up when raising the visor. It no longer feels like it is sitting high on my head. Combined with the cradling suspension it feels integrated to my body, in a way that no 'standard' forestry helmet ever did. I hope that it does not make me feel capable of doing stupid things!

IMG_4562.jpg

MSA also offers full and half clear face shields, and a variety of hearing protection options, for user preferences, or for using the helmet in different applications.

BTW, the designers integrated a clever little whistle into the chin strap buckle. Not a reason to buy this helmet, but a nice little touch to know about if you lose or forget your primary signaling device.

IMG_4554.jpg
(Passes the sniff test!)

Philbert

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Accessories

It is very easy to attach and remove the mesh visor. I like this, since I frequently do this for travel, to minimize damage to the visor / face screen when packed with other gear. It is not always easy to do this with some other forestry helmets.

Raising the visor causes the helmet to slide back slightly, even with the chin strap in place, due to the sweatband, which is attached along one edge only. I needed to hold one hand on top of the helmet while raising the visor, and was thinking about ways to better secure the sweatband.

Then I put the ear muffs on.

Once the ear muffs are installed, and in place, the helmet really feels 'bomb proof'. The helmet does not slide up when raising the visor. It no longer feels like it is sitting high on my head. Combined with the cradling suspension it feels integrated to my body, in a way that no 'standard' forestry helmet ever did. I hope that it does not make me feel capable of doing stupid things!

View attachment 242718

MSA also offers full and half clear face shields, and a variety of hearing protection options, for user preferences, or for using the helmet in different applications.

BTW, the designers integrated a clever little whistle into the chin strap buckle. Not a reason to buy this helmet, but a nice little touch to know about if you lose or forget your primary signaling device.

View attachment 242719
(Passes the sniff test!)

Philbert

What is the mesh face shield made of? I like the protection they provide, but the steel ones last about 1-2 weeks for me. I sweat so bad they are rusted out in no time; therefore, not feasible. I'd like to find stainless or plastic to try.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the mesh face shield made of? I like the protection they provide, but the steel ones last about 1-2 weeks for me. I sweat so bad they are rusted out in no time; therefore, not feasible. I'd like to find stainless or plastic to try.
The one I have is steel mesh. I am only seeing clear (polycarbonate) shields as the other options on their website.

RUST ?!? Maybe you need an air conditioned helmet!

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Type 1 - top protection only.

Price depends on the vendor. I was told that Grainger, Fastenal, and Airgas sell them nationally, in the US, along with many safety supply houses.

Philbert

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Philbert. Have you had a chance to spend an entire hot day under this hat ? Ultimately that's the test that matters most (until something hits you on the head-then its if it kept you safe) . Some just cook yer brains all day. Looks like a pretty "cool" tool. In NJ it's a requirement at all times. Gloves and glasses as well. Law or not they should be used at all times in an active area.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You would think for safety they would use stainless or monel, anything that wouldn't get rust in your eye.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cost is always a factor. Want it cheap enough that users are not discouraged from replacing them when damaged.

Never seen one rusted like @Hinerman 's!

I like STIHL's plastic mesh face shield better than their steel mesh, which tends to tear away from the molded plastic frame. But that might be a design issue.

Stainless is an interesting idea.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update

Spent most of the day wearing the helmet yesterday (82°F and sunny) while testing some saws, etc. It's been too hot, humid, or rainy recently to just be standing outside for me, let alone doing much physical work. COVID restrictions have limited some other sawing opportunities.

While focused on my tasks, I actually forgot that I had the helmet on, except when I wondered why I could not hear something (e.g. the 'click' of my phone's camera), or when the sun hit the mesh screen 'just right' to create some veiling glare. It never got too hot or too clammy, although, the sweat band was noticeably saturated when I removed the helmet. It never felt top heavy' when leaning forward - again, the hearing muffs really help hold the helmet solid to my head.

Overall, very pleased with it's performance. I have not compared this model directly with the Petzl or KASK helmets, but I have no problems recommending it for arborist / forestry use.

Philbert

Last edited:

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Philbert that was an excellent post, I certainly do not know anything about forestry PPE and it was good to read an in depth and simplified explanation of the different types and the features of what you bought.

thanks
I have never found a reason to wear a helmet milling, but maybe you might have some advice on that?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words!

I have never found a reason to wear a helmet milling, but maybe you might have some advice on that?
I don't mill, so some others might have better insight into this.

Just speculating: there are always things that could go wrong, and throw things at your head, or you could fall and hit your noggin against something. Smack yourself (or a helper) with a long board?

And there are still the wood chips (face screen) and chainsaw noise (hearing protectors), so it is convenient to have your PPE integrated into one unit, which you can also wear while bucking pieces to length, or other incidental chainsaw use.

Might be a cultural thing with me, or something that has become ingrained, but when I think chainsaw, I think helmet. Might be a good question to raise in one of the milling forums or threads.

Philbert

Last edited:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words!

I don't mill, so some others might have better insight into this.

Just speculating: there are always things that could go wrong, and throw things at your head, or you could fall and hit your noggin against something.

And there are still the wood chips (face screen) and chainsaw noise (hearing protectors), so it is convenient to have your PPE integrated into one unit, which you can also wear while bucking pieces to length, or other incidental chainsaw use.

Might be a cultural thing with me, or something that has become ingrained, but when I think chainsaw, I think helmet. Might be a good question to raise in one of the milling forums or threads.

Philbert
funny...around NJ now when you think "Chainsaw" you think "LAW"...and you HAVE to have a helmet on any worksite.. :(

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
funny...around NJ now when you think "Chainsaw" you think "LAW"...
'Sawyer' does rhyme with 'Lawyer'!

Not sure about the OSHA regs, which don't apply to non-employment activities, but can sometimes serve as a reference. I am assuming that they would want the helmet, along with other PPE, anytime a chainsaw is used. Again, some guys that do a lot of milling might have good insight on this.

Philbert