Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey all, looking for some input: even though it’s older, I’ve really been favoring my 460 for felling/limbing as I log daily. As we know, the biggest (and only) downfall IMO is the first gen HD air filter. Currently I run the HD screened/felt filter with an Outerwears Pre-filter. It plugs up a lot - the saw loses power often. Long story short, I ordered a MaxFlow today. I’m hoping that it gives me much longer run times - as I can go through 9-10 tanks a day at times. What are your experiences?

Also, I see the white foam is for “extreme” cutting conditions. When does one warrant going from the green to the white?

Lastly, must the spit-back guard be removed for install?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The white is denser for when you generate more fines. I'm not sure what the "spitback" thing is on a 460, so IDK. Be sure to get a BOTTLE of filter oil (not a spray can), too. I use Maxima oil like the stuff below because that's what my local shop carries, but I'm sure any foam filter oil will work.
60901.jpg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't use the screened felt filters with the outerwears prefilter, I get the cheap pleated filters and cover them , it works much better.
I have a max flow on my 088 and use unifilter oil. The max flow filter is good but the plastic peices are poorly made in my opinion, theay are thin and ill fitting.
The White filter would be for burned trees where ash and carbon particles get into the filter.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Run the green, set plastic aside unless your cutting in rain. Oil it good with any foam filter oil and check it after a few days.

I’ve been cutting in the snow here in SE MN/Western WI - I’d imagine I will want the cover on to protect the filter from the extra moisture. There’s already times when I get a bit too close to the ground (even after kicking the snow away) and the steam and water come flying out the side of the saw..

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't use the screened felt filters with the outerwears prefilter, I get the cheap pleated filters and cover them , it works much better.

And they fit over the velocity stack/spit-back plate?
I’m also nervous to run a “cheap” paper filter element from an AM, unless proven otherwise. Not knocking you, just sayin IMO.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be sure to get a BOTTLE of filter oil (not a spray can), too. I use Maxima oil like the stuff below because that's what my local shop carries, but I'm sure any foam filter oil will work.
60901.jpg

Thanks! I have a bottle of BelRay I’ll use. Do you clean them with gasoline?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And they fit over the velocity stack/spit-back plate?
I’m also nervous to run a “cheap” paper filter element from an AM, unless proven otherwise. Not knocking you, just sayin IMO.
Yeah not too many snow events here so that could be an issue, I know K&N sells a pleated filter for it also, but haven't tried it myself.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is always the wire mesh stock oem winter filter as an option as well.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is always the wire mesh stock oem winter filter as an option as well.

I’m not sure how I feel about them - I understand that there is much less dirt in the air during winter, so they are essentially just filtering off the sawdust, but to me, that’s risky. It just seems like if it’s not good enough for year-round use, then it’s not good enough. Know what I mean?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure how I feel about them - I understand that there is much less dirt in the air during winter, so they are essentially just filtering off the sawdust, but to me, that’s risky. It just seems like if it’s not good enough for year-round use, then it’s not good enough. Know what I mean?
Yeah, I ran a winter filter on a 440 for 1.5 tanks and found an intake/carb lined with sawdust. No thanks!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a winter wire mesh exclusively on my 026. My most used saw. The piston and cylinder are routinely checked and are as good as brand new. Just mentioning that as an option. I have one for my 460, but haven't used it. I run maxflos.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That green mesh filter is one step above no filter. Maybe better with panty hose wrap. The blue foam insert in for spitback, does nothing for filtering.

Infinitejest

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I run the green filter all day tree-lengthing with no issues. Weeknights I brush it off with a tooth brush.
It gets a proper clean and fresh oiling on the weekend. Get some proper foam filter cleaner from any where that sells dirt bikes.
It's handy to have four filter elements if you're full time falling, then you can clean a batch of them once a month.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only downside is how ugly that rear cover made the saw.

This has honestly been the biggest hesitation for me to even try one until now. I like the stock look. But at this point I’m willing to trade aesthetics for reliability and run time..

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run the green filter all day tree-lengthing with no issues. Weeknights I brush it off with a tooth brush.
It gets a proper clean and fresh oiling on the weekend. Get some proper foam filter cleaner from any where that sells dirt bikes.
It's handy to have four filter elements if you're full time falling, then you can clean a batch of them once a month.

I appreciate the input from experience. I plan to get a couple more of the filter elements after I try this for a couple weeks. Cleaning in batches makes sense to me since it’s a messy process to begin with. ..Thinking about leaving my filter oil in a shallow, covered, rubbermade container or something similar, to submerge the filters in and then squeeze them out over without wasting it, saving it for next time.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the input from experience. I plan to get a couple more of the filter elements after I try this for a couple weeks. Cleaning in batches makes sense to me since it’s a messy process to begin with. ..Thinking about leaving my filter oil in a shallow, covered, rubbermade container or something similar, to submerge the filters in and then squeeze them out over without wasting it, saving it for next time.
I wear latex gloves and pour the oil straight into the filter and "knead" it in to the filter element