MS460 Magnum- Hard Starting After Storage

Steck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an early 2000’s MS 460 Magnum with factory .68 main jet. Has opened up exhaust and running max flo filter. Rebuilt the carb with a factory Walbro kit. After the saw sits for a month or two, I have to pull it a good 8-10 times before it pops over on full choke. I believe I have it tuned well and it runs well and has great power in the cut. Am I crazy or is this normal? It should be noted that after it turns over on choke but isn’t running, I can hear a bubbly, squeaky noise like air is being pulled in somewhere. Any suggestions?

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb boot or pulse line would be first on my to check list..but could be seals or crank case gasket sucking... Vacuum\pressure check will tell what you are replacing.

Steck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. That’s what I was thinking and makes perfect sense. It feels like the saw loses prime after sitting and has a hard time sucking fuel. After running a while and seemingly running fine, I get a rare blip in acceleration much like the sensation felt when it’s actually running dry. I will start with the impulse and fuel lines. Thank you again.

Steck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While we’re at it, I’m fairly new to saw repair and every repair is a learning experience for me. How does one perform such vacuum check?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Block intake and exhaust and pull vacuum from impulse line or spark plug hole. If saw has decompression, block that also.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While we’re at it, I’m fairly new to saw repair and every repair is a learning experience for me. How does one perform such vacuum check?
Mini-vac or similar vacuum pump will be needed, want to hold around 7 lbs.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a 460 as my main felling saw and it gets used almost daily. However, sometimes it does sit for a month or 2 depending on weather. With that being said, usually from a “dry start” it takes 5-6 pulls max on full choke to “pop”. Any more than that tells me your saw does have a problem - especially if you are hearing a squeal.. Like those above have said, start with the basics: Fuel and Impulse lines, and new carb diaphragms/gaskets... That’s what gets your fuel up to the carb. Best of luck!

Steck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you all! Hopefully I get a few hours soon to take a look at it. Not much down time this winter… heating with an OWB and it’s been the coldest winter since I put it in. Lotsa wood

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
8-10 is normal for saws that sit.. I would even call it good. If the saw is run daily, every cold start is 8-10 that's no good.