ms260 metal oil pump gear?

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hey was wondering if there was a metal oil pump gear out there for the ms260 instead of the standard plastic one.

I ordered a new one off fleabay but it doesn't fit I assume it's for the non adjustable oiler.

Attachments

• 20230330_173411.jpg
    20230330_173411.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 4

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
haven't found a metal one for the adjustable oiler being made anyone know if there is a different metal one that will fit? If not i'll just order a another plastic one.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like plastic worm gear only for the adjustable oil pump and metal for the non adjustable.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like plastic worm gear only for the adjustable oil pump and metal for the non adjustable.
ya that's all I've found but didn't know if there was another metal worm gear from a different saw that would work, figured someone on here might know the answer to that.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The adjustable pump has a nylon gear. There isn’t a metal one. The stainless one is for the standard oiler.

Changing to the adjustable/Clutch drive pump requires:

Pump
Worm gear
Large Protector washer (I think)
Crank Washer and sleeve
Clutch Drum-it’s different for the adjustable pump to engage the tang of the worm gear.

The black one above looks AM. I’d stay away. The worm for the 260 has a straight tang coming off of it. Not the usual “Z” bend at the end like other Stihl models.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The adjustable pump has a nylon gear. There isn’t a metal one. The stainless one is for the standard oiler.

Changing to the adjustable/Clutch drive pump requires:

Pump
Worm gear
Large Protector washer (I think)
Crank Washer and sleeve
Clutch Drum-it’s different for the adjustable pump to engage the tang of the worm gear.

The black one above looks AM. I’d stay away. The worm for the 260 has a straight tang coming off of it. Not the usual “Z” bend at the end like other Stihl models.
I was hoping to find a metal one for the adjustable oiler like the black one on the right. I have a buddy that could make me one i'm sure but not sure if it's worth that much effort.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I ask why it has to be metal?

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I ask why it has to be metal?
the nylon one failed, one of the threads looked smashed figured I wouldn't have that problem with a metal one. I just ordered an OEM nylon one so we will see how it holds up and if it doesn't I'll have one made.

Added: just looked at the picture and I see you can't see the smashed section but one of the threads got flattened/smeared believe it was on the middle thread.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure your pump piston is moving freely. A stuck pump will ruin your gear in quick order. The gear in the pump should rotate easily with your finger.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure your pump piston is moving freely. A stuck pump will ruin your gear in quick order. The gear in the pump should rotate easily with your finger.
Thanks for the tip would hate to put a new one in just to ruin it.