High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

STIHL MS241C Review

bcbz71

Active OPE Member
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Last year, I decided I wanted a new saw (Stihl only, that's what I grew up with). I have a 009, a MS180C and a MS290.

The 009 is a great little limbing top handle, but it's old, and as they tend to do, it runs rich and it's to the point it floods out while running. It's a non-adjustable carb and I was just gonna throw it away from aggravation, but my 82 y/o Dad just sent me a carb that supposed to fit it with adjustable jets. He had one put on his 009L and says it works. We'll see when it arrives.

The 180 was worn bad when I bought it, but I've put a lot of miles on it. I call it my dirt saw because I'm not careful with it. It's a nice light saw that gets the job done, but man, I work on it a lot. I've put so many new parts on it that it's not been a cost effective saw to keep anymore. I just broke the starter cord twice this weekend.....got an OEM Stihl cord on the way.

As most know the 290 is a heavy beast. It's not been used much except for taking down big pines in my yard and a lot of clean-up after Hurricane Michael. Great powerful saw with 18" bar, but too heavy for what I do. It will flat wear me out cutting up logs with my Granberg mill.

Decided on the 241, but then couldn't find one, so was going to pick up a 261 and miraculously found a 241 at my local Ace. 18' bar with 3/8 p "green" chain on it.

Finally, here's the review:
After all the hype I've read about these saws, I felt I was in for a let-down. I cranked it up, and put it into a 13" piece of seasoned cedar and let her rip. The throttle response was immediate and it had a nice sound to it. I was able to slow the chain down a little with too much pressure, so I wasn't as impressed as I felt I should have been. Didn't want to put it in the dirt and old fence wire, so picked up the 290 and did some brush clearing and some general cleanup until it just got too heavy. Grabbed the 241 again, and my whole outlook changed in an instant. With the weight and sluggishness of the 290 fresh in my mind, the 241 felt like a lightweight dynamo. Everything about it just seemed smoother, more powerful and easy to handle. I proceeded to hit fence wire with it and get it in the dirt, but I ended Day 1 with a good impression of the saw. Not over enthusiastic, but hopeful. No issues with warm or cold starting.

Day 2: Started the day with all 3 saws freshly sharpened. Had some 14" live pines hanging over the road that I needed to cut on my hunting lease. Grabbed the 241 and went to work. "hot knife through butter" comes to mind. Ripped a 4"x36" slab from the heart of the pine to make a bench and piled up high the long slivers of pine. Impressed. Went to a place I had three 24" stumps stored to make fat lighter from and decided this would be the test.....18 month old pine stump with crystallized sap. I made 6 lengthwise cuts with the grain of the stump and the 18" bar buried about as hard as I could push and she just sang as the rippings piled up to my knees. Maybe I could have stopped the chain, but it would have taken a considerable amount more effort. Moved on to a food plot and dropped a standing dead pine about 17" in diameter and 70' tall. Made about 16 cross cuts for medallions for my daughter's country wedding table settings and then cut twelve 45 degree cross sections for a more unique center piece. No problem with the bar buried all 18".

To wrap it up, once I put a new pull cord on the 180 and a carb on the 009, one or both of them will go on craigslist. The 241 is just too light to keep them. The 290 has been with me 17 years and barely looks worn, but it may go too.....there is nothing that 290 can do that the 241 can't. All in all, 100% satisfied with my new purchase and can't believe I waited so long to treat myself!

And no, I do not plan on modding that saw at all....that's just not me.

AKJonsereds

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had another Stihl, it would be a 241. Thanks for the post....

Check out @Redbull661 s video sometime....

In case you change your mind [emoji846] and “need” a little more.
My father in law hates noisy machines, but loves his ported 026....

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my 241. Thinking of porting it and selling my ported 261. For small stuff the 261 isn't faster by enough margin to justify its existence. For big stuff I use the 462

Need to try the new stihl narrow kerf 325 chain though. I have a feeling that might transform the 262.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best thing about them and keeping them stock is the amount of work you can do with a 241 per tank. Expensive, yes....a few years down the road you'll forget that and just have a good saw. Good tools are never too expensive if you use them often enough.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have to say I don't own a 241 yet but I will get one if needed.
Many small saws already here.
I've ran many of them and the TM 241 leaves the stock 261 on a shelf. Don't see me owning a 261 unless one just shows up here.
The stock 261 or 241 ain't a bad saw. I'd chose the 241 ported every time for small stuff. Bucking starts for me with a medium bow saw or a 361/2 72dl.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I had another Stihl, it would be a 241. Thanks for the post....

Check out @Redbull661 s video sometime....

In case you change your mind [emoji846] and “need” a little more.
My father in law hates noisy machines, but loves his ported 026....
You can call that thing the Baconater... brings home the bacon.

bcbz71

Active OPE Member
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think ol RedBull needs a ruler.....every piece he cut was a different length. My Dad would have kicked my ass for that!

I ordered a yellow chain for the 241....received a green chain, but decided to keep it as a spare. Put a yellow chain on order last night....hope it comes in yellow! Not sure what a .325 setup would gain me for what I do, so she's probably gonna run 3/8 p for life.

Got my 180 pull rope in and installed it tonight. Dang thing wouldn't start because it was dry and only about 1/4 full. My neighbor hollered over, "You can use my electric one.". "Nah, I've got 4 of these". He replied: " One of them bound to work then." Haha....Chris got jokes. I filled the tank and it started first pull, so I was obnoxious with it! Need to get rid of it, but it's so hard to part with an old friend....

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think ol RedBull needs a ruler.....every piece he cut was a different length. My Dad would have kicked my ass for that!

I ordered a yellow chain for the 241....received a green chain, but decided to keep it as a spare. Put a yellow chain on order last night....hope it comes in yellow! Not sure what a .325 setup would gain me for what I do, so she's probably gonna run 3/8 p for life.

Got my 180 pull rope in and installed it tonight. Dang thing wouldn't start because it was dry and only about 1/4 full. My neighbor hollered over, "You can use my electric one.". "Nah, I've got 4 of these". He replied: " One of them bound to work then." Haha....Chris got jokes. I filled the tank and it started first pull, so I was obnoxious with it! Need to get rid of it, but it's so hard to part with an old friend....
Dump it.

Those 180's are crap, dump that too.

I have a pile of 018's I bought used and beat to death doing tree service work. You get a season out one.

I'm buying another used tiny electric tomorrow for my home yard. Cheap, quiet and easy.

325 is smoother in small wood... closer together cutters. I like picco myself. Mostly all I run on small saws.

Scott is cutting and he has multiple wood burners so... It won't matter. Jules was filming aka: Redbull