Ms200t rebuild

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was planning on rebuilding this one for myself since this was abandoned with me by a tree service....... Along with a sizeable unpaid bill for several repairs/rebuilds and other services rendered...... F-ing crack heads....

So this seems like some pretty excessive play.....

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/599a3d782b8a9/VID_20170814_194704652.mp4

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty obvious how it got toasted...
dd71151db7a70040e191bd476ee5336f.jpg
a6706ce7bdfcaf4063d13835a5a94e15.jpg
ef596aced33c561c4b35e36354fec2ff.jpg

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was planning on rebuilding this one for myself since this was abandoned with me by a tree service....... Along with a sizeable unpaid bill for several repairs/rebuilds and other services rendered...... F-ing crack heads....

Cant view it , what are you talking about up and down crank play or side to side?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Hard to tell WO both sides of the case. I've seen pretty excessive horizontal play be pretty acceptable . Swap out the bearings put the cases together then check. Maybe mic the crank while it's apart as well. 200s are very different saws. BOL

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cant view it , what are you talking about up and down crank play or side to side?
Lots of side to side, but that's kinda normal with the needle bearing crank bearings....
But the up/down doesn't seem acceptable...
Second video with the sound up you can hear a "clicking" sound with the play in the bearings....

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to tell WO both sides of the case. I've seen pretty excessive horizontal play be pretty acceptable . Swap out the bearings put the cases together then check. Maybe mic the crank while it's apart as well. 200s are very different saws. BOL
Both videos are with NEW a/m bearings...
I was doing a full teardown to replace seals.... I believe the WELL used oem's had less play...

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not that they are the same size bearings but:
I used GM Delco distributor shaft shims ( washers) to reduce endplay in a Homie XL.

I hate wasted motion. It's just bad form.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually the side to side is why the seals eventually leak .Don't fart around with it,new bearings,OEM and seals .Couple years ago the entire set up was about 60 bucks from a dealer .I've done several .

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Both videos are with NEW a/m bearings...
I was doing a full teardown to replace seals.... I believe the WELL used oem's had less play...

I never played w AM bearings on 200s. Lone wolf says it's a no no for this series. He yells at me when I do dumb stuff. I don't like when he yells at me
:(
@Lone Wolf

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Actually the side to side is why the seals eventually leak .Don't fart around with it,new bearings,OEM and seals .Couple years ago the entire set up was about 60 bucks from a dealer .I've done several .
Al.
At one point I had 5 of them apart and 4 had side to side play. I chocked it up to "typical for the series" they are still holding up two years later. Maybe just lucky ?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bearings ,which most but not all people know are made with a type of thrust washer inside the cage which wears out after a period of time .This side slop eventually will eat the seals up .You can prolong a bearing change with new seals but not forever .IMO this is or was the thing that killed these little saws over the years while many assumed it was the faulty carbs but that's another story .
Stihl never publicaly addressed the problem of the seals let alone the carbs .I think it was just assumed the saw design had a fly in the ointment to an otherwise fantastic little saw .
IMO these little darlins should last almost forever but one must be wary of this weak link and deal with it in a timely manner .

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The bearings ,which most but not all people know are made with a type of thrust washer inside the cage which wears out after a period of time .This side slop eventually will eat the seals up .You can prolong a bearing change with new seals but not forever .IMO this is or was the thing that killed these little saws over the years while many assumed it was the faulty carbs but that's another story .
Stihl never publicaly addressed the problem of the seals let alone the carbs .I think it was just assumed the saw design had a fly in the ointment to an otherwise fantastic little saw .
IMO these little darlins should last almost forever but one must be wary of this weak link and deal with it in a timely manner .

Literally couldn't have put this better myself. Too many brilliant little saws end up in the junk pile over these sorts of problems. And I wouldn't mind but I can do a full rebuild including all bearings and seals with new piston in, accelerator pump bypass with carb kit and new lines in a touch under 4 hours labour. As soon as I tell customers that they normally snap my hand off, and they always smile when they pick them up rebuilt.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I checked them with a dial gauge. If those are aftermarket bearings you better pull them out ASAP and throw in the trash! If you don't they will tear everything up after a short while! I would never use China stuff there. I had a saw a couple weeks ago come in here that had them and the crank was all marred up where it rides on the bearings and the saw had a vibration! It was moving all over the place!

Last edited:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Al,
Ive run into more of the similar cases in this OP thread. Where the bushings are weak and the ape continues to pinch the bar and pull on that summabeach till the intake manifold rips and he attempts to "overcome" the shortcomings of an uncontrollable throttle and idle . usually the kill switch wires are reduced to rubble in the "pinch and pull" dance too.
@Al Smith