Trader history (0)

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 200T in for a rebuild. It has had very poor maintenance from a dealer for some time. It is missing the dowel pins (hollow rivets is what they are listed as) that line the cases up. I have ordered new from my dealer but they are on back order. I can either send brand new pins on exchange for some good used right now or I am willing to buy them out right so I can get this saw together and back in a tree.

Not sure what is out there in the way of used / busted cases. Maybe @lonewolf has some?

PayPal at the ready.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jimmy, If steve or nobody else steps up. I have a case half that has the 2 pins still in. I've never "intentionally" removed them but will try....or will just send the half down and you can fight it. Maybe send a pair back when you can ? I got to assume anything in the proper diameter would work just fine though....all they do is align the halves. Same as the bolts will. I've used "high tack" gasket sealant to hold gaskets in place often

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jimmy, If steve or nobody else steps up. I have a case half that has the 2 pins still in. I've never "intentionally" removed them but will try....or will just send the half down and you can fight it. Maybe send a pair back when you can ? I got to assume anything in the proper diameter would work just fine though....all they do is align the halves. Same as the bolts will. I've used "high tack" gasket sealant to hold gaskets in place often
Yes the bolts get close... but the dowel pins are machined and hold it a bit better with a tighter tolerance. This saw is proof of what happens running with out line up pins over time.

I have dug through what I have for line up pins but finding something this snug is tough. Most Stihl saws use a solid pin. These are Husky flavor with bolts through the dowels but are sized for an M4 bolt where Husky case bolts are M5. I think Steve may have something but I will let you know.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

These cases are high mileage. The slight misalignment allowed by the lack of the dowels has let the bearings beat the pockets. I've actually talked to Steve and some machinist, these bearings will be mounted with Loctite bearing mount and will be these cases last rally at life. The owner is aware of this... but wants to keep this saw OEM. IF it survives to another rebuild it will get different cases either OEM or AM.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jimmy, Loctite retaining compounds have come a long way in the last year or two. But the 680 is still the higher gap fill @ .015" with high strength. You can download the Henkel retaining compound info. for some good reading and comparisons. Just thought this might help you. I use a lot of those products in my work, Tim

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jimmy, Loctite retaining compounds have come a long way in the last year or two. But the 680 is still the higher gap fill @ .015" with high strength. You can download the Henkel retaining compound info. for some good reading and comparisons. Just thought this might help you. I use a lot of those products in my work, Tim
I've got a bottle of 638 which will be fine for these. They still require a light tap to get out of the bores so they are maybe 0.0005" over sized. I appreciate the info though. If these cases were any more worn they would get pitched... they really should have been already.