Tree Sling'r

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've built roughly 10 of these now, really like the performance. One customer's ran great for two weeks, it has the upgraded coil. The saw started bogging. I've put on an adjustable carb, ran okay, but something was off.
I am looking to reset the m-tronic, just want to make sure I know how to do it.
Start and leave on choke for 90 seconds, switch to off position. Started back up make some cuts.
Is this correct?
Also, the solenoid, has anyone had to replace one yet, if so how much was it?
Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heard solenoids run about $10

Tree Sling'r

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anytime !!
Just don't skip any, solder every single one
Okay, cool. The carb swap didn't work out, I swapped linkage, stuffed everything back in, tapped off the loose stuff. Randy got me going, did I miss anything that you know of?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found a large amount of varying resistance throughout the harnesses. Soldering took away the pesky gremlins.

I've seen a bunch of these, and in one or another I've come across bad connections at just about every connector if you combine them all.

I make sure to solder everything, make sure its got the 4701 coil, and the straight boot, no problems after them steps yet

Chris Zautner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've built roughly 10 of these now, really like the performance. One customer's ran great for two weeks, it has the upgraded coil. The saw started bogging. I've put on an adjustable carb, ran okay, but something was off.
I am looking to reset the m-tronic, just want to make sure I know how to do it.
Start and leave on choke for 90 seconds, switch to off position. Started back up make some cuts.
Is this correct?
Also, the solenoid, has anyone had to replace one yet, if so how much was it?
Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.
Are you the man on YouTube that I'm thinking of?

Tree Sling'r

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found a large amount of varying resistance throughout the harnesses. Soldering took away the pesky gremlins.

I've seen a bunch of these, and in one or another I've come across bad connections at just about every connector if you combine them all.

I make sure to solder everything, make sure its got the 4701 coil, and the straight boot, no problems after them steps yet

Was the boot updated with the coil?

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Boot: old boot no longer produced. new boot "straight boot" = 1144 141 2202 retail $20

Coil: new coil "4701 A" on the actual unit. Stihl part # = 1144 400 1420

per stihl tech

"4700 C" & "4700 D" allow the saw to go too lean. They are warrant-able. Meaning if you make a stink like it's not running right. They will replace it with the new "4701 A"

"4700 E" is good and not warrantable.

4700E and 4701A have higher fuel values than 4700c 4700d.

Reset per stihl tech -
1. start saw on choke. let it run on choke 90 seconds. switch OFF. note: I personally hold the saw and keep the chain brake off cuz the chain likes to run just a little)
2. now restart saw and just let it idle. Don't touch throttle at all. 90 seconds of idling. then switch OFF
3. restart saw and make at least 5 cuts. You will feel the saw change for each cut...kinda cool.

Last edited: