MS 362 idle problem

Christian Beyrend

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new in this forum, My name is Christian, I am a climber arborist for Davey Tree. I re-build 2 MS 192C from broken saws, and now because of that i m doing the saw maintenance at the shop.

So I have 2 questions for your guys:

1)We had a 362, who didn't work properly, stalling and no power wild running. I open the saw and made a big clean up, the saw was already running better but not good enough. So I reset the carburetor to the manufacturer setting. Now the saw it is running to well!
My problem is, I can not make the chain stop spinning, I reduce the "LA" to the minimum with out have the saw to stall, but the chaine is still turning.
Anybody has any idea on what I can do?

2)When I put the saw a part, I saw attached on the oil pump a piece of metal attached to it, it seem to turn free inside. First I thought i had a broken piece, but I check the maintenance manuel, and an other saw, with the same system. So my question is what this thing is for?

Thank you

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. Maybe a call to a Stihl dealer will get you some answers. They may even do it for you.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adjust your L speed a bit richer to bring the rpm's down to stop the chain turning. If the chain turns with correct idle setting (2800rpm+/-200) the clutch springs may be worn. My bet is a tweak of the L needle will solve your issue. Congrats on your 'saw maintenance' promotion at work, become good at it & you'll be hard to fire.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adjust your L speed a bit richer to bring the rpm's down to stop the chain turning. If the chain turns with correct idle setting (2800rpm+/-200) the clutch springs may be worn. My bet is a tweak of the L needle will solve your issue. Congrats on your 'saw maintenance' promotion at work, become good at it & you'll be hard to fire.

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

Welcome to OPE!

Christian Beyrend

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry it took me some time to come back.

So I did try to adjust the L and it didn't do any thing the chain is still spinning very fast.
Soon I have time, I will try to replace the clutch, and see if it will make any difference.
I will think, if the clutch spring will be to old, it will do the opposite, it will strop the chaine, and not make it spin faster?!

Thank you again for your help, I will come back let you know if it make any difference.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The LA screw will slow down the chain. Back out the LA screw until the blade slows to a stop, then back off about a 1/4 turn more. Then use the L to adjust low. Search for Madsen carb adjust. Good tutorial there for you.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will think, if the clutch spring will be to old, it will do the opposite, it will strop the chaine, and not make it spin faster?!
You miss understanding how a centrifuge clutch works. The clutch springs keep the clutch shoes pulled in when at idle speed and when the engine speeds up the shoes sling outward when they overcome the spring tension and engage the clutch drum housing. Usually around 3500 rpm on Stihl.

As previous mention check your RPM at idle if it is at spec of around 2800 rpm then suspect the clutch springs or something binding in the clutch. If above 2800-3000 then try enriching the L speed mixture to slow down the engine.You might also make sure your not exceeding the max unloaded high speed rpm of 14000 as the mixtures settings do interact with each other. If you can't get the idle speed down then suspect air leak or carburetor problem.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry it took me some time to come back.

So I did try to adjust the L and it didn't do any thing the chain is still spinning very fast.
Soon I have time, I will try to replace the clutch, and see if it will make any difference.

Thank you again for your help, I will come back let you know if it make any difference.
http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

Christian Beyrend

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well has I write this reply, I realize, I was thinking back word about the clutch, and yes it make sense, if the springs are old they won't keep the shoe in place properly.

Anyway, I did change the springs this morning, did a quick test and the saw work correctly now.
It seem, everyday a saw arrive with a new problem. Keep me busy.lol

I would like to apologize for my english, as it isn't my first language. I probably did few mistakes.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem it is readable and get the point across. I for one am bad about leaving out words as I type and I got to reread what post and even edit thing at times. It just I type a lot slower than I think. As the poor many of the younger English speaker here in my part of the world are terrible at it and it is their native language.

Many of forums I read I usually need a translator program to read them and one to post.

Glad to hear you got it working.