MS 310

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
12:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried to start my MS 310 in prep for selling it and it wouldn’t stay running. I’d prime it and it would start but wouldn’t continue. Fresh fuel, new filter, cleaned carb, checked impulse and fuel lines but no indication of leaks. Surely I’m missing something but what?

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
1:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried to start my MS 310 in prep for selling it and it wouldn’t stay running. I’d prime it and it would start but wouldn’t continue. Fresh fuel, new filter, cleaned carb, checked impulse and fuel lines but no indication of leaks. Surely I’m missing something but what?
Check for mud daubers in the muffler

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running rich on idle, thus producing a slow flood. Raise up the idle setting first.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran well couple months ago but now won’t pull fuel. Compression is ~130 on “not broken in rings” so should pull fuel. Thinking bout new fuel, impulse lines and, while I’m at it, the intake manifold. None of these are over two years old but whatever
Even tried fuel from two different cans to no avail

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Inspect the spark screen in the muffler and also check the small fuel screen inside the carb.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My rule #1, change the $2 spark plug. Very well may not be your issue, but it’s my first step when things go wonky and it only costs $2. Plus, a new plug isn’t a bad thing.

Check flywheel for alignment/possible key shear. Costs nothing.

Sure sounds fuel related. I’d do the fuel and Impulse line and rebuild the carb. If your intake boot is oem and only 2 years old, I sincerely doubt it’s the issue. But inspection costs nothing.

Make sure spark screen is clean.

Check the tank vent also, but my money is on the carb.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After you prime it and get it to pop and fire for a second, pull the fuel line off. If fuel doesnt spray out then ur carb isnt pulling fuel. Either pulse line or carb needs a kit. When u cleaned carb, were diaphrams nice and flexible or a bit crispy?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you use aftermarket or oem lines, fuel filter and intake boot? If aftermarket they can go bad in two years. Did you not run it much after the rebuild? Did you rebuild it two years ago?