High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MS 261 Carb limiters

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a ms261 stihl without the m- tronic its a 2015 model, German built and its only got about 2 full tanks through it. I had it about a year now i guess. Had alot of snow here in east tn./ s.w. va. where i live and had some cedars come down. I been working on getting trees cut and noticed my 261 sure sounds lean on top end and i tried to adjust to make the h jet richer and tried the 2mm allen wrench to turn the limiter. Well it turned but never felt stripped so i turned it richer probably 1 or 2 turns, but the limiter screw slot stay in the same spot straight up and down. So i figured it didnt work and i went to start the saw and its rich bad and smoking. Or something else happened? Is it possible i was making the high richer when turning the allen wrench, even though the limiter screw slot is still in the same position and still stops after 3/4 of a turn right or left? Please help any experience with this.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two turns is a lot! Stick your 2mm Allen back in there and adjust it closer back to where it was. I have not done this for years now but from memory the allen will just 'move' the tuning range either richer/leaner. So if the limiters have 3/4 of a turn movement you can set the starting point & ending point/range with the Allen key. I'd have perhaps only backed out the Allen a 1/4-1/2 turn to move the tuning range richer but you still need a enough range where you can lean it out and make it richer when you need to. What you have done is set that range either rich or far to rich. Put it back to where it was & then back the Allen out 1/4 turn then test the tuning range.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want the rich side of the range to go as far as where 4 stroking occurs, and lean enough to where you don't get any 4 stroking at all. I think that's a good range. I tend to tune my stuff just lean enough to where it doesn't 4 stroke any, though sometimes a bit leaner will achieve max rpm, but its not enough gain for me to want to risk overheating or some other issue.

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies. I was expecting the plastic gears to strip, not just jump teeth. I get it now thanks again for the help.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep they just jump and make a funky noise doing so. For a carb limiter setup I actually like the MS261. The factory tool is just a screwdriver handle with a 2mm Allen & the dealer adjusts things just as you are.

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool i wish i would figured this out to start with but i turned the H back all the way to the stop, then opened it back a full turn and a half now im in the ballpark and can fine tune it from there. Again thanks alot.