CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,

I don't dog my saws or tug on them in a tight cut. I cut decent enough now I rarely ever get pinched.
Yet, I noticed after a some storm clean-up a few days ago, my 261 seemed looser than normal around the handle area connected to the main body.
Not bad lose, but noticeable.
Took it to my normal Stihl shop...they did some minor maintenance. They called and said it was ready, I asked about the looseness, they're reply was, "the saw is built atop some springs and that is normal looseness for a 4-5 year old saw...it's alright Reggie!" :rolleyes:o_O

Anyways, that was via phone call...I'm picking it up in the morning and I'll see.
Do you guys have any solutions, thoughts and btw is there a way to tighten the handle closer to the body?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just check all the springs and see if one is broken or has loose screws. Check the handle screws too.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have put some serious hours on the saw just order new OEM springs & fit them yourself. Do dealers have a way of testing springs other than checking if they are broken or a fastener is loose? I don't think so? I'd just replace the springs, should be cheap if you do it yourself.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have put some serious hours on the saw just order new OEM springs & fit them yourself. Do dealers have a way of testing springs other than checking if they are broken or a fastener is loose? I don't think so? I'd just replace the springs, should be cheap if you do it yourself.
Hmm...good idea, all except I would have to possess the skill-set to accomplish the task.
My hands are made of dough...
Got a quick tutorial on that job?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm...good idea, all except I would have to possess the skill-set to accomplish the task.
My hands are made of dough...
Got a quick tutorial on that job?
It’s pretty easy and self explanatory honestly. Just grab a beer or beverage of your choice and open your tailgate put the saw there and take your time lol. Just don’t overtighten the self tapping screws going into plastic.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s pretty easy and self explanatory honestly. Just grab a beer or beverage of your choice and open your tailgate put the saw there and take your time lol. Just don’t overtighten the self tapping screws going into plastic.
Hmm...I looked at a DIY video on YouTube...didn't look to complicated and the parts are reasonably priced online.
Hmm...:frown: