na

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know anyone that runs a saw for a living that uses a hybrid lol.

Maybe there's 3 or 4 out there.
I know one guy who does tree work, built his own hybrid that he uses for tree work, and convinced me to pick up a CFB hybrid. Miss the saw, don't miss the vibes, filtration, and overpriced parts.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I imagine 99% of the people in the world who run a saw for a living have never owned a ported saw.
The unfortunate reality is that for a logger such as myself, a chainsaw at the end of the day is just another disposable tool. What I mean is (as much as I love and care for my saws) they could get smashed, run over, stolen, etc any day. It the unfortunate truth. But the goal is always to make them last as long as possible.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The unfortunate reality is that for a logger such as myself, a chainsaw at the end of the day is just another disposable tool. What I mean is (as much as I love and care for my saws) they could get smashed, run over, stolen, etc any day. It the unfortunate truth. But the goal is always to make them last as long as possible.

You likely understand why I build saws that may not be quite as "fast" as is possible. Over the years I've managed to find the edge, and have then backed up from it a little.

Even though the saw is in reality a small part of the cost of a real logging operation, having saws fail cuts directly into a guy's profit and production.

If anyone approaches me asking for a saw that is taken as far as is possible, I send them to someone else usually.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You likely understand why I build saws that may not be quite as "fast" as is possible. Over the years I've managed to find the edge, and have then backed up from it a little.

Even though the saw is in reality a small part of the cost of a real logging operation, having saws fail cuts directly into a guy's profit and production.

If anyone approaches me asking for a saw that is taken as far as is possible, I send them to someone else usually.
I’m not at all knocking what you do, and would still in fact love to not only own, but use ported saws daily for my work. I appreciate that you make a solid work saw - torque will always rule over peak horsepower in a work setting. Hopefully someday my overhead will allow me to pay for your work, or any of the other talented porter’s work, for my go-to saws.

I was trying to explain my opinion on why most professionals probably don’t own ported saws. There is certainly exceptions to everything. Thanks for all your hard work, from the R/D on the saws, to maintaining this wonderful site for all of us.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not at all knocking what you do

I never took it that way. In fact.....I completely agree. I can take a stock saw, and keep several men working packing brush, splitting, stacking, etc. A good running ported saw just makes it more fun in all honesty.

Woodrow

Reynolds Crane - Home of Ported and Polished Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah clearly the correct answer is keep both and buy a couple more of each. That’s the real three saw plan… you have 3 of each saw. After all two is one and one is none.
^This. At least that is what my enablers tell me...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna get Steve's hybrid and see how it does against the new 462s...

Well... the story goes, that was the plan, A) I saw your Jonny was traded off and not hearing from you figured that was the end of that. B) Time was/is running short for it to happen, then C ) kurtz came up yesterday and saw it on my bench and asked what was going on with it, we put a bar and chain on it and after returning from the test log to the shop he fiddled with his phone and paid me for it. And I was happy, until just now. That's my story and I'll take my whipping like a man. Sorry this went bad. In hindsight though I will say it was made to be a GTG saw and that's exactly what it's going to be used for, so you wont get sick of pulling it over or the bottom end coming un-stuffed from repeated use. So Imma going to try and sugar coat it as a blessing in disguise? I think if we step back and find you a good 440 like we discussed, I can build you one dandy of a work saw that you'll want to run every day.
With all apologies,
Steve