na

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have not been here long enough yet, what you need to worry about is buying a few more of each, so you have a backup for the backup saw, etc, not which one to axe.

Both of those are great saws, I'd keep them both honestly.

441 for lazy days when you don't want to tune a saw or mess around, just pull the cord and go.

Then keep the highbread for when you want to feel ole school, tweak on the carb screws, etc.

Those ported 441's can be very deceiving, they may not sound like a 440, but don't let the sound fool ya.

I've had a MMWS, 441, 461 (x2) 460, etc... 441 will nip right on the heels of any of them, and sometimes out cut them.

441 keeps the air filter cleaner way longer then any 1128 series saw also. Plus a 441 is smooth as silk in the AV dept.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have not been here long enough yet, what you need to worry about is buying a few more of each, so you have a backup for the backup saw, etc, not which one to axe.

Both of those are great saws, I'd keep them both honestly.

441 for lazy days when you don't want to tune a saw or mess around, just pull the cord and go.

Then keep the highbread for when you want to feel ole school, tweak on the carb screws, etc.

Those ported 441's can be very deceiving, they may not sound like a 440, but don't let the sound fool ya.

I've had a MMWS, 441, 461 (x2) 460, etc... 441 will nip right on the heels of any of them, and sometimes out cut them.

441 keeps the air filter cleaner way longer then any 1128 series saw also. Plus a 441 is smooth as silk in the AV dept.

Listen to this guy.

Guys are gonna stretch the real world performance of one over the other.

The reality is you won't notice one being crazy more powerful than the other, it's all YouTube videos that don't mean anything when you actually go cut wood.

Pick the one you like.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two saws in and I already can't afford this game. I think I'm gunna go back to the knife groups and start me a lanyard collection.
This perspective might be throwing most of us off? These are both great saws to "work" with, and thats where I'm coming from. I paid 23$ for my first 441 that was a total mess and 175$ for my 044 with a bad piston, but I cut trees with them. Collection saws as far as keeping one over the other can be a totally different subject.
Predictions of value are whatever the market determines, I mean who could have predicted that an old 090 stihl would be what it's worth now in the 1980s ?

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll be the outlier, and probably say something very unpopular.

The 441 is a better saw in almost every way. You pull the cord and it goes. I’ve never ran one that didn’t have enough power. Your hands and arms will thank you at the end of the day. Your air filter will be cleaner. It balances better than a 440 with a longer bar. The crankcase is meant for the cylinder and piston that are on it. Its biggest con is the stupid throttle linkage.

I’d run a 441 over a 440, 460 or hybrid any day right now, and I have a lot of trigger time on all of them. Just saying. The 461 I feel a little differently about. That hybrid may blow your socks off, but if you have to live with it the 441 may be the easier companion to live with in the long run.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll be the outlier, and probably say something very unpopular.

The 441 is a better saw in almost every way. You pull the cord and it goes. I’ve never ran one that didn’t have enough power. Your hands and arms will thank you at the end of the day. Your air filter will be cleaner. It balances better than a 440 with a longer bar. The crankcase is meant for the cylinder and piston that are on it. Its biggest con is the stupid throttle linkage.

I’d run a 441 over a 440, 460 or hybrid any day right now, and I have a lot of trigger time on all of them. Just saying. The 461 I feel a little differently about. That hybrid may blow your socks off, but if you have to live with it the 441 may be the easier companion to live with in the long run.

I don't know anyone that runs a saw for a living that uses a hybrid lol.

Maybe there's 3 or 4 out there.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know anyone that runs a saw for a living that uses a hybrid lol.

Maybe there's 3 or 4 out there.

I gave one to a buddy of mine who was just getting back into logging. He ran it for a few years till his son ran over it with the Skidder. He called me....very upset. Loved that saw....

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gave one to a buddy of mine who was just getting back into logging. He ran it for a few years till his son ran over it with the Skidder. He called me....very upset. Loved that saw....

I had two that weren't measurably more or or less than any other 70cc saw. They run fine, but like most things...stretched...

I'm gonna get Steve's hybrid and see how it does against the new 462s...

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hybrid, so much more room for activities.