High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MMWS 372: Break-In, Tuning, Maintenance, and General Advice

Swizzler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello OPE! I am (very) eagerly awaiting an OE 372 by MasterMind, and I'm OCD'ing on the minute details of running her.

Break-In: I've seen lots of conflicting advice on how to break-in a new saw, and I'd like to gather even more conflicting advice so I can formulate a better game plan.
My current plan is to richen her up a little and run 32:1 for a few tanks, then I'll go to 40:1. (Do I set both H and L richer or just the H?) For the very first start I'll just let it idle til she's hot, giving it a couple small bumps of the throttle along the way, then turn it off to let it cool. Then warming her up and running at 3/4 throttle under load for a tank. Then running her under load for another 5-10 tanks without free-spinning the chain. Then go to 40:1 and retune. I know it's really nit-picking but I was going to run a full-comp chain that I bought by accident for the break-in period just to make it work harder. Thoughts?

Is there anything else I should know about running or maintaining a ported saw? It'll be my first one.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello OPE! I am (very) eagerly awaiting an OE 372 by MasterMind, and I'm OCD'ing on the minute details of running her.

Break-In: I've seen lots of conflicting advice on how to break-in a new saw, and I'd like to gather even more conflicting advice so I can formulate a better game plan.
My current plan is to richen her up a little and run 32:1 for a few tanks, then I'll go to 40:1. (Do I set both H and L richer or just the H?) For the very first start I'll just let it idle til she's hot, giving it a couple small bumps of the throttle along the way, then turn it off to let it cool. Then warming her up and running at 3/4 throttle under load for a tank. Then running her under load for another 5-10 tanks without free-spinning the chain. Then go to 40:1 and retune. I know it's really nit-picking but I was going to run a full-comp chain that I bought by accident for the break-in period just to make it work harder. Thoughts?

Is there anything else I should know about running or maintaining a ported saw? It'll be my first one.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!
You're overthinking it
Just set the high a bit rich for a few tanks is all I ever did.
Just keep in mind to let the saw warm up
Before use and run as normal.
I do agree on 32/1 or 40/1 for ported saws
10 I think I have or 12 ported saws can't remember.
Skip or full comp doesn't matter
Just whatever you prefer on longer than 24" bars is when most run skip.