Miss Mixer or Blend For Rainyday

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go into shed B where the project saws are stored to organize. I have a can of VP premix galllon I had emptied shazam she's full of gas. Well I thought I vaguely remembered pouring out a gallon from one of no spill Jill's mixcans into the VP can to take the 2 1/2 can to get fresh 93 octane boat gas when I filled my 5 gallon VP race can which is a non-ethanol monthly thing to keep the small engines happy....

OK might be too vague; cause the gas looks clear. I only pulled out a couple drop. Here's the thing if it's mixed it's mixed right and I should use it. If it's straight well you know and either way I could pour it in the 360 Dodge and burn it in two blocks. But how would you tell? What can you do to test it on the bench to determine that there is oil in it? Can you reverse engineer it down to the specific ratio with readily available equipment?

1990Husky262

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can take a sheet of white paper and put a couple drops of straight gas then in a separate spot put a couple drops of suspect gas and then in another separate spot put a couple drops of known mix if you have any, let the paper sit and let gas evaporate and the oil will be left behind and you can see the difference, but if it was me and i was unsure i would probably just burn it up in truck and mix up a fresh batch

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shake can to mix, dip a finger in the gas, rub between finger and thumb. If it has oil in it it will be slippery, if straight gas it will feel gritty (for lack of a better description)

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can take a sheet of white paper and put a couple drops of straight gas then in a separate spot put a couple drop...

Stepping with the right foot...

Dump it in the Mopar and don't look back, its not worth it in my book.

your book wasn't one of the choices sugar biscuit

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you apply this information and compare a known good mix to your unknown sample?

Specific Gravity – What Is It And Why Does It Matter?
Specific Gravity

Definition: specific gravity (noun) – the ratio of the density of any substance to the density of some other substance taken as standard, water being the standard for liquids and solids, and hydrogen or air being the standard for gases.

For fuels, specific gravity can be determined by dividing the density of the fuel (in units of pounds per gallon) by the density of water (8.325 pounds per gallon). Let’s look at one example.

Sunoco Supreme weighs 5.95 pounds per gallon. Applying some math: 5.95 / 8.325 = 0.715. So Supreme has a specific gravity of 0.715.

If Fuel A has a lower specific gravity than Fuel B, Fuel A is said to be “lighter” than Fuel B. Literally, a gallon of Fuel A weighs less than a gallon of Fuel B. Sunoco Standard has a specific gravity of 0.728, so it is said to be “heavier” than Supreme.

Why does this matter? Well there are two reasons.

First, specific gravity has an impact on fuel metering, especially for carbureted engines. A heavier fuel is of course denser, so the float in a carb’s float bowl will sit higher than if a lighter fuel was used. If the float sits higher, the fuel level will be lower. Fuel level affects fuel metering in a number of ways, so if you’re switching fuels, pay attention to the fuel level in the bowls.

For most race fuels, specific gravity is also an indication of the composition. Note that the words “most” and “indication” were used – there are exceptions. However, for most race fuels, a lower specific gravity suggests a faster-burning fuel, while a higher specific gravity suggests a fuel is slower-burning. This is because most light hydrocarbons used to make a race fuel are faster burning than most heavier hydrocarbons. This matters because faster-burning fuels usually require less spark advance than slower-burning fuels.

So in addition to paying attention to fuel metering changes when switching race fuels, you need to pay attention to ignition timing as well. We’re not talking huge changes here, but these changes are important to the proper tuning and consistent performance of your race engine.

One final thought – there are implications for pump gas as well. The specific gravity of pump gas will typically range from about 0.720 to 0.770. As you can now guess, this wide range is a reflection of the wide ranging composition. Pump gas composition varies by octane, by region, and by season. For these reasons, a race engine that can run on pump gas must be tuned conservatively just to prevent engine failure. You can imagine the consequences of an engine that is tuned to the ragged edge on one batch of pump gas, then another batch is used in a race and the motor runs lean and timing is over-advanced. Not good.

One of the most important attributes of a race fuel is its consistency. Even if you don’t need all the engine protection offered by a high octane race fuel, you may need its consistency. Specific gravity is one of the many parameters we monitor to ensure quality and consistency in all our fuels, batch after batch.

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dump it in the Mopar and don't look back, its not worth it in my book.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well one strange development; the known straight gas left more blotch than my non-ethanol in the VP can. VP can definitely has straight gas. Straight juice from the No-spill can is 10% ethanol. Looked at receipt and it is 93 from the local station. It looks almost half as oiley as my Stihl Mix.
FullSizeR(2).jpg FullSizeR(3).jpg FullSizeR(4).jpg IMG_3747.jpg

A nice pair of Jill's Jugs for those who support science...
IMG_3751.jpg

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive ran gas Ive mixed double on oil before. If you tune for it it really don't smoke or anything funny.. I'd bet a gallon at 60:1 or 80:1 wouldnt hurt anything either as long as you weren't milling.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Key word: Gallon
Just hold your nose and chug it. Try not to burp near the campfire.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could you apply this information and compare a known good mix to your unknown sample?

Specific Gravity – What Is It And Why Does It Matter?
Specific Gravity

Definition: specific gravity (noun) – the ratio of the density of any substance to the density of some other substance taken as standard, water being the standard for liquids and solids, and hydrogen or air being the standard for gases.

For fuels, specific gravity can be determined by dividing the density of the fuel (in units of pounds per gallon) by the density of water (8.325 pounds per gallon). Let’s look at one example.

Sunoco Supreme weighs 5.95 pounds per gallon. Applying some math: 5.95 / 8.325 = 0.715. So Supreme has a specific gravity of 0.715.

If Fuel A has a lower specific gravity than Fuel B, Fuel A is said to be “lighter” than Fuel B. Literally, a gallon of Fuel A weighs less than a gallon of Fuel B. Sunoco Standard has a specific gravity of 0.728, so it is said to be “heavier” than Supreme.

Why does this matter? Well there are two reasons.

First, specific gravity has an impact on fuel metering, especially for carbureted engines. A heavier fuel is of course denser, so the float in a carb’s float bowl will sit higher than if a lighter fuel was used. If the float sits higher, the fuel level will be lower. Fuel level affects fuel metering in a number of ways, so if you’re switching fuels, pay attention to the fuel level in the bowls.

For most race fuels, specific gravity is also an indication of the composition. Note that the words “most” and “indication” were used – there are exceptions. However, for most race fuels, a lower specific gravity suggests a faster-burning fuel, while a higher specific gravity suggests a fuel is slower-burning. This is because most light hydrocarbons used to make a race fuel are faster burning than most heavier hydrocarbons. This matters because faster-burning fuels usually require less spark advance than slower-burning fuels.

So in addition to paying attention to fuel metering changes when switching race fuels, you need to pay attention to ignition timing as well. We’re not talking huge changes here, but these changes are important to the proper tuning and consistent performance of your race engine.

One final thought – there are implications for pump gas as well. The specific gravity of pump gas will typically range from about 0.720 to 0.770. As you can now guess, this wide range is a reflection of the wide ranging composition. Pump gas composition varies by octane, by region, and by season. For these reasons, a race engine that can run on pump gas must be tuned conservatively just to prevent engine failure. You can imagine the consequences of an engine that is tuned to the ragged edge on one batch of pump gas, then another batch is used in a race and the motor runs lean and timing is over-advanced. Not good.

One of the most important attributes of a race fuel is its consistency. Even if you don’t need all the engine protection offered by a high octane race fuel, you may need its consistency. Specific gravity is one of the many parameters we monitor to ensure quality and consistency in all our fuels, batch after batch.

Without an appropriate hydrometer and pre-established specifications for the fuel itself you can not determine correct specific gravity for raw vs mixed fuel.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't see a big reason to get all twatted up about it...

IMG_3753.jpg

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sure am glad I didn't listen to any ding dongs who wanted me to pour that in my truck...it's moonshine.

I'm out in my woodshop putting a key in the shaft of a bandsaw and the mamasan rolls in. Her nose starts twitchin' like a rabbit like she does when she wants to smell something. She goes, "What's that smell?" I say probably gas I been pouring it out on notebook paper to see if there was oil in it. A can of VP mix the distributor gave me for tuning up his saw came up mysteriously full after I know good and well I used every drop. She says no I smell booze. Have you been drinking? I go hell no I don't drink in the first place but now that you mention it, I smell booze too.

She went in the house and I start looking around. It turns out my uncle Dale who keeps his V-Max in my saw shack also decided to stash a gallon of shine in an empty VP premix can he'd garden hosed out and dumped in a gallon of booze. He was hiding it from his wife Shirley and from me too I guess. Haha what a bunch of hillbilly.

What do you think that would do to a 325 HP fuel injected Dodge?