Milling with a 592 XP?

Gvsu141

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anybody have any milling experience with the 592 XP yet? I know it's been in EU for a little while. Thinking about upgrading from the 395.

The side tensioner would be nice. Any known reliability issues milling, Outside the normal wear? I'd imagine it can oil a 36-in like the 395 does, and anything bigger needing an external oiler?

Reactions: Lnk

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The specs say that the 592 is over a pound lighter and has an additional 1 horsepower. However, the oil capacity is less on the 592.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a lot of chainsaw milling that goes on across the country or is it more of a novelty like other stuff talked about on the inner web?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a lot of chainsaw milling that goes on across the country or is it more of a novelty like other stuff talked about on the inner web?
Like anything else, some people are like "chainsaw milling where have you been my whole life!?" And are milling logs just for the fun of it. The first time I used a mill was for work and I had to build a small structure on the side of a mountain. I still consider myself a novice, but after hand hewing logs and watching a old dude make a log into a beautiful strait beam with a couple of weird axes I feel like we're all novices.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, watching tried and true methods without all the technology helps put things, including egos, into place.

I helped skin and seal a bunch of fir poles for a barn addition many years ago, before I even got into saws/milling.

Lots of times while milling I reflect upon how much easier a pole-building CAN be, compared to all the input and tools required to mill wood, followed by the tools required to build with that milled wood.

We've come quite a long ways, but aren't all that much better off. Just different knowledge and methods.

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone believe that Husqvarna will ever discontinue the 395? They tried with the 372 and the people actually got what they wanted, when they beeched about it. Does pride get in the way, as in not wanting to admit that their new flagship product (592) is not as proven to be a beast in any application its put under, as was/is the case with the 395. Do EPA credits cause them to cease production at least for the US market? I can definitely see 2 major positives for the 592 being weight reduction & strato/autotune for fuel consumption. Has anyone seem them prices!?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like anything else, some people are like "chainsaw milling where have you been my whole life!?" And are milling logs just for the fun of it. The first time I used a mill was for work and I had to build a small structure on the side of a mountain. I still consider myself a novice, but after hand hewing logs and watching a old dude make a log into a beautiful strait beam with a couple of weird axes I feel like we're all novices.
Yeah we just playing around clueless with our iPhones and fuel injected
chainsaws compared to generations past.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree, great vid. I wish I had the time to gain those skills. I guess I’ll have the time in retirement, but I might not have the will to work that hard. I can only hope I do.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone believe that Husqvarna will ever discontinue the 395? They tried with the 372 and the people actually got what they wanted, when they beeched about it. Does pride get in the way, as in not wanting to admit that their new flagship product (592) is not as proven to be a beast in any application its put under, as was/is the case with the 395. Do EPA credits cause them to cease production at least for the US market? I can definitely see 2 major positives for the 592 being weight reduction & strato/autotune for fuel consumption. Has anyone seem them prices!?
IMO I think that the 395 is grandfathered in. As long as they don’t change it they are allowed to sell it.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They did this with those crappy little pit bikes, if you haven’t noticed the Honda 50cc 4 stroke engine for those is the exact same design as it was in the early 80’s. I watched a video on why it’s still being used and hasn’t been upgraded and it’s all about how it was grandfathered in so that they don’t have to meet emission standards.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Benwa mills logs where felled in machine inaccessible ground so as to be able to get the wood out.

Reactions: Lnk