Milling long dead logs

Pony

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have lots of chainsaw experience but exactly zero milling experience.
I have a lot of large logs I would like to start cutting slabs from.
They have all been cut into logs at least 15 yrs ago and some I know as long as 30 yrs. These are all Australian hardwood so the timber is still fine.
My question is once I have slabbed them will they be stable enough to use straight away or are they still going to warp, etc if i don't stack them, etc, even since they have been dead for so long.
Thanks in advance .
Brett

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best to make a cut somewhere on one and measure its moisture content. It's really hard to say without knowing the conditions which they have been stored.

Pony

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They are just on the ground , but having said that we are in the middle of one of the worst droughts on record.
I'm guessing by what you said that stacking the slabs after cutting as if they were still green would be the safest bet?
Thanks Brett

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would definitely recommend sticker stacking them and putting weight on top for at least a little while.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worst drought ever!! I think we all have been watching the news. :flaming:
Depends on the nature/grain of the wood. Very little I work with stays straight. Def sticker and stack. More stickers the better, like 5 or 6 to 8ft.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes you will still need to air dry the slabs even if already down dry logs for many years.
As has been said strip stick and stack the slabs or whatever you cut out in packs (we call them strip sticks here in AU).
Being already mostly dry it won't take as long to air dry the timber to an acceptable level.
But just remember with air drying if you make something (furniture) and take it indoors- over winter with a heater/fireplace it will take the last % moisture out of the timber and warping and shrinkage along with checking can happen.
That's one downside of air dried compared to kiln dried hardwood. Depends on what you are making really say for example a bar top isn't going to move shrink much if just air dried.

Last edited: