Milling a Figured Maple Beam

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Decided to follow along as I milled this beam up today. Nice color throughout the log, but that awkward size where it’s not quite wide enough for slabs. I’ve done dimensional lumber like 1x8” boards with stuff like this before. I decided I might as well cut the largest beam I can and can always modify it later. I’ve got a rock wall fireplace in my house that needs a mantle. I’m slowly setting aside choice beams for that someday. So far I’ve got wild cherry and maple. I’ll be doing an oak soon as well. I forgot to hit record for the final cut with the 661 and granberg mill…so missed the big unveil when the sides came off. Oh well…

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Decided to follow along as I milled this beam up today. Nice color throughout the log, but that awkward size where it’s not quite wide enough for slabs. I’ve done dimensional lumber like 1x8” boards with stuff like this before. I decided I might as well cut the largest beam I can and can always modify it later. I’ve got a rock wall fireplace in my house that needs a mantle. I’m slowly setting aside choice beams for that someday. So far I’ve got wild cherry and maple. I’ll be doing an oak soon as well. I forgot to hit record for the final cut with the 661 and granberg mill…so missed the big unveil when the sides came off. Oh well…
nice. i like your roller design mini mill