Milling a Beautiful Black Walnut- Suggestions

Steck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m fairly new to milling, and have just been making slabs for myself and have built one coffee table out of walnut so far. I had a really nice black walnut come down. It’s probably 20-24” diameter and tapers to about 16-18”. That section is clear of branches and straight as an arrow for probably 30-35 ft. I’m trying to raise some money for more shop equipment and toys and want to sell at least half of it. My question is, should I make different thickness slabs to sell, make them all the same, do some made to order stuff and advertise it? What have you guys done in the past? Thank you!!!

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It all depends on what the folks around you are doing with it. If they are using the slabs to make tables and benches with you will need to be a minimum of 8/4 to allow for planing or flattening. I mostly use walnut in cutting boards and trivets so I cut 5/4 which will leave me with a 1” finished product.

Steck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the info! I was already thinking of doing 8/4 and 5/4 so what you said makes a lot of sense. I think I’ll do a log of each and leave the rest for anything else someone might want.