High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Miller Bobcat Propane Conversion

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience converting gas engines over to propane?

I have a low hour Bobcat 250 welder/generator that im considering converting. I want to use propane because of the ability to store bulk fuel without having to worry about it going bad. I use this for work and as a backup generator at the house.

So bulk fuel storage stability is the upside, the downside is ive read here that propane is bad on engine seals. Also I read somewhere if you convert them then you can not go back to gas because the engines wont last? The last statement doesn’t make sense to me except maybe the seal thing.

I know that Miller makes a propane version of my welder but dont see where they sell a conversion. Any information on longevity and who would make a conversion kit would be appreciated.

This is a 2014 with the Kohler engine.

948f6d56e284c4154f18d867c5ab75c4.jpg

Last edited:

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For a period of time GM offered a truck as a dual fuel. It had 2 separate sets of injectors, for the gasoline and propane.
You could switch between the 2 while going down the road. I recall the valve seats were different due to use with propane, maybe the valves too.
Thats about all the info I can offer.

Barfly

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Should run fine on propane.Fit an upper cylinder lubricant kit if you feel durability is an issue.No real need to though.
The main issue is the propane regulator is water heated to prevent icing up.A hot source of that is needed.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you get away with deflecting some of the air from the cylinder shroud over the regulator and on away from the engine?
I'm don't mean doing anything that would block air flow for the cylinder, just a bit of a scoop or deflector, something to deflect a bit of the warm air after it leaves the engine.
Of course you will need to make sure that you don't create a loop or swirl that sends the hot air back into the engine either.

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could you get away with deflecting some of the air from the cylinder shroud over the regulator and on away from the engine?
I'm don't mean doing anything that would block air flow for the cylinder, just a bit of a scoop or deflector, something to deflect a bit of the warm air after it leaves the engine.
Of course you will need to make sure that you don't create a loop or swirl that sends the hot air back into the engine either.

I didnt even think about the propane freezing up. Yall is correct. When you fill bottles it does that.

I bet on this I could get away with mounting regulator near the exhaust? Or does it go in place of the carb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk