metal roofers

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm curious if anyone on ope has put on a metal roof or does it full time ? I've been doing it full time since 2009 . In my area there are hundreds that go on every year .

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I've done some. No standing seam though. All the ones I've done are screw down.
I don't do roof for a living though. I build log cabins.
This one I just finished.
caa62dc305a8b2b806d60290412b0afa.jpg

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't do standing seam either it's all g-rib metal . We have a 5 person crew and we work through a huge metal supply company that's close to me.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have many pictures on this phone so i can't upload any pics . We do a lot of em that are 10 to 12 pitch and have done a few that are 14/12 and also a couple a frames . Those are a pita. Lol

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done quite a few. All screw on stuff. Even started using tin inside buildings for a ceiling. White tin makes a good shop ceiling material
Yea I think it makes a great ceiling. Couple years ago we had to put aluminum panels in a hog barn ceiling . They let the sows in there crates while we were working .. :(. That is noisy and it smells a little .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I acquired around 12-14 thousand square feet of Armco Steelox 22 gauge standing seam material and plan on using it for roofing and siding on two buildings .I made the power seam closer for same that works quite nicely plus a pair of hand closures .

This stuff uses concealed fasteners and should last a life time from any thing short of a class 3 tornado or an earthquake. I'm a fussy old fart.When I build something it's made to last for a good long while .

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We did my nieces 28×60 modular screw down would have been done in one day but she wanted a 15x20 front porch we built it and we were done in three getting ready to do my house when it stays nice metals the only way to go did several shingled roofs no more of that crap shingles here don't last near what they used too.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was installed correctly .metal,either nail down or standing seam will last almost forever .The real old stuff installed in the early portion of the last century is still in good shape providing it was painted on a regular bassis .

When Armco was still in business the stuff I have carried a 40 year warranty. Which course is a moot point at this time because there is no Armco that I'm aware of .Never the less with "galvalume" and Pittsburgh paint more than likely it's good for 50 years at least .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this traditional shingled roofs bring up a host of things .While three tab are pretty much a thing of the past there were tricks to that .One was "quarter tabbing" .in other words every 4th row aligns rather than ever other thus breaking the water channel effect of rain water eroding the area exposed on the tabs .It could extent the standard 235 lb per square from a 30 year roof to a 40 year roof .

To further add many dimensional shingles are now rated for 40 years these days.On that stuff you have more options these days than in the past .

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put pro snap metal roofing on my house, easy stuff to do.

I'm an Ironworker by trade so we do pre-engineered metal buildings too. I've done screw down roofs and standing seam. I dislike all of em. Lol

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm an Ironworker by trade so we do pre-engineered metal buildings too. I've done screw down roofs and standing seam. I dislike all of em. Lol
what is it that you don't like ? My dad thinks it makes houses look like barns . Lol .

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what is it that you don't like ? My dad thinks it makes houses look like barns . Lol .
I love the metal roofing on my house, it's all hidden fasteners and looks great.

I just don't like goin to work and doin screw down or standing seam.

Lot of other things I'd rather be doin

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have screw down on my house . It's only 2 years old so I don't how it'll last . I used to not like working on it either but after 8 yrs you get used to it . Lol

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have screw down on my house . It's only 2 years old so I don't how it'll last . I used to not like working on it either but after 8 yrs you get used to it . Lol
I've been in the trade long enough to know there is better work out there.

Some people love em though, just not for me

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been in the trade long enough to know there is better work out there.

Some people love em though, just not for me
Yea it can be back breaking work at times being on a roof everyday . I've had my application in at a small engine repair shop a while now. It'll pay less though . :(

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm remodeling two houses now, and while I like the snap lock with the hidden fasteners, the price was 40% higher than screw down... if it was my own house, I would pay the extra, but I can't afford to do it on these houses. Even the screw down is 30% more than the 40 yr. asphalt shingles, but I can do a whole house in one day with metal, vs. 3 days for shingles...

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had my buddy put my sister's metal roof on last saturday he brought three helpers i didn't even lift a finger lol four hours and they were done an hour of that to replace plywood on a soft spot on the roof next to a leaking fan 14x70 mobile home.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had my buddy put my sister's metal roof on last saturday he brought three helpers i didn't even lift a finger lol four hours and they were done an hour of that to replace plywood on a soft spot on the roof next to a leaking fan 14x70 mobile home.
was that over shingles? We mostly go across them . We put a foil vapor barrier beneath the metal .