High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

[meta?] Why is 25.4cc such a ubiquitous displacement among varied-brands?

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Like, my most-expensive & least-expensive (echo ppt266 & scheppach csp2540) saws, which are not-close to being from the same manufacturers(the scheppach is a clone of a zenoah which is part of Husqvarna-Group), yet their 25cc engines' displacements are identical to the 1/10thCC......why? Can only think of 2 realistic reasons:
1- that, like carbs, these cylinders are being made-wholesale and purchased by all the big companies IE we know echo doesn't manufacture fuel-lines in their facilities they buy them, perhaps this is the case w/ these 25.4cc jugs? But that's hard to swallow when, of my pair of 25.4cc's, one is an "echo-best" with magnesium casing and all and the other is a $135(shipped w/bar&chain), lowest-price unit(though it is absurdly impressive/total A+, but plz note this doesn't apply to all the zenoah g2500 clones for instance there are multiple issues w/ the farmertec/jon cutter G2500 clones that the csp2540 doesn't have)

2nd reason-- it's simply a good design that works and it's a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kinda thing....but again when we're talking 10ths of a CC, it's hard to think that 25.4, not 25.3 or 25.5, would just happen to be the optimal for such a massive variety of saws boasting this displacement.

Would love to understand this 'phenomena', it's gotta be a statistical-impossibility that it's coincidence but that doesn't tell me *why* ;D Thanks for any help understanding this one :D

Piston Skirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like, my most-expensive & least-expensive (echo ppt266 & scheppach csp2540) saws, which are not-close to being from the same manufacturers(the scheppach is a clone of a zenoah which is part of Husqvarna-Group), yet their 25cc engines' displacements are identical to the 1/10thCC......why? Can only think of 2 realistic reasons:
1- that, like carbs, these cylinders are being made-wholesale and purchased by all the big companies IE we know echo doesn't manufacture fuel-lines in their facilities they buy them, perhaps this is the case w/ these 25.4cc jugs? But that's hard to swallow when, of my pair of 25.4cc's, one is an "echo-best" with magnesium casing and all and the other is a $135(shipped w/bar&chain), lowest-price unit(though it is absurdly impressive/total A+, but plz note this doesn't apply to all the zenoah g2500 clones for instance there are multiple issues w/ the farmertec/jon cutter G2500 clones that the csp2540 doesn't have)

2nd reason-- it's simply a good design that works and it's a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kinda thing....but again when we're talking 10ths of a CC, it's hard to think that 25.4, not 25.3 or 25.5, would just happen to be the optimal for such a massive variety of saws boasting this displacement.

Would love to understand this 'phenomena', it's gotta be a statistical-impossibility that it's coincidence but that doesn't tell me *why* ;D Thanks for any help understanding this one :D

As said above it’s just normal coincidence bore x stroke in milimeters.

As for ECHO i believe it’s the only major manufacturer left making nearly all pistons, cylinders, gears and other major engine parts in-house (unless, of course you take into account those cloners from China as manufacturers)

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could also be an epa type thing, like over/under that displacement is required to be quieter or less emissions.

That was my thought too.

Piston Skirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could also be an epa type thing, like over/under that displacement is required to be quieter or less emissions.

nah, the emission steps in other continents are at 20 then 50 cc.
20 is irrelevant anyway, yet 50 gives you a clear hint why nobody is making 49cc saws anymore
but rather choose 50.1 or 50.2 whichever bore x stroke is more convenient.

EPA in US use “banking” system so that’s even less cc related:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...&node=pt40.36.1054&rgn=div5#se40.36.1054_1103

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything designed in the engine world, whether saws, bikes, cars, buses, planes, rockets, spaceships, et al is ultimately based upon it's power to weight ratio, and cost per unit horse power while the EPA piggy backs on all of it(except for Spaceships...for now...). Where these factors meet is where you see products. Everything meets at an intersection, whether we know it or not. A good example is your pillow gun - where comfort and danger meet.

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We may have a new over thinker on our hands, I've been knocked down a peg.
LOL! I swear I let it bother me for a loong time before finally asking this! It was my recent learning that my $135 amazon saw is actually a "zenoah g2500" clone, and seeing how popular the g2500 platform seems in asia/non-western areas, has had me looking at ownership because kept thinking "has to be 1 main company making jugs at 25.4cc displacement, why else would major companies copy it?" as I didn't know it had to be a bore//stroke function (did find something interesting though....my g2500 clone is actually an outstanding-quality unit, unlike some of the other g2500 clones out there...when digging, I found that zenoah is actually Husqvarna Group, got me wondering....since they get more market-share in the US by splitting to Husqvarna&Poulan-Pro, have to wonder if scheppach isn't their "european Poulan-Pro" as, surprisingly, Scheppach seems a real company yet their csp2540 is a high-quality clone....feels like my poulan pro 4218a ie far nicer than it should be for its price!)

Love when you reply because your avatar is probably the coolest on any forum (what's your compression at on that btw?? Would love to hear your setup if you have a sec, have seen so many going with the 1/4" pitch conversions and am still confused why echo is selling the 2511 to european markets w/ a 1/4" setup but then using 3/8LP for us :/)

As said above it’s just normal coincidence bore x stroke in milimeters.

As for ECHO i believe it’s the only major manufacturer left making nearly all pistons, cylinders, gears and other major engine parts in-house (unless, of course you take into account those cloners from China as manufacturers)
Could you "explain like I'm 5" this whole "bore v stroke" concept? I guess that, to an ignoramus like me, I'm thinking "you could have a 5' wide, 2" tall jug, or a 5" wide, 2' tall jug, you would choose"....presumably, then, there's a "optimal efficiency ratio" of stroke-to-bore? Is this something that is fixed, or is it played with (like compression) by the engineers to improve saws?

Maybe it's some kinda industry insider joke. 25.4 cm is 1 in exactly. But 25.4cc is 1.55ci, hmmm.
I....I feel real dumb for not having put that together myself :p I mean jeebus that is obvious (not that it's "why jugs are 25.4cc" but just noticing it's the 1=2.54 ratio :p )

That was my thought too.
That'd be a tough sell I think, if there's saws coming-in at all sorts of displacements then it's hard to fathom that 25.3cc, or 25.5cc, would be viewed differently (oh unless you mean "class cut-offs" or something, like "it's not an SUV it's a truck", like at 25.5cc there's a new class/regulations so they're skating-under it)

nah, the emission steps in other continents are at 20 then 50 cc.
20 is irrelevant anyway, yet 50 gives you a clear hint why nobody is making 49cc saws anymore
but rather choose 50.1 or 50.2 whichever bore x stroke is more convenient.

EPA in US use “banking” system so that’s even less cc related:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...&node=pt40.36.1054&rgn=div5#se40.36.1054_1103
Thanks a ton for the link it's precisely the type of thing I wanted to get familiar with (am still trying to understand just how manufacturers//epa meet, for instance with echo's 355t the muffler comes as a fully-open box with phillips-screws to remove the restricter-plate, it's as-if they'd set it up so you can remove 3 screws for the muff mod, or leave it on for EPA compliance....same for the 355's air-intake, if you lift its air-filter there is a plastic restricter plate behind it, removal of this & the muffler's restricter let it run stronger but, surely, less-efficiently)

[and Re the 50cc thing...you mean there's 'cut-offs', so if I wanted to make a saw that was 49cc I'd be better-off making it a 50cc because I'd then be 'past a cut-off' for a new class/new rules&standards? That seems like such a crude, random way of approaching regulation of these engines...though I guess that in and of itself shouldn't be a surprise!!]

Everything designed in the engine world, whether saws, bikes, cars, buses, planes, rockets, spaceships, et al is ultimately based upon it's power to weight ratio, and cost per unit horse power while the EPA piggy backs on all of it(except for Spaceships...for now...). Where these factors meet is where you see products. Everything meets at an intersection, whether we know it or not. A good example is your pillow gun - where comfort and danger meet.
How 'involved' is the EPA when it comes to chainsaws, though?? As I alluded to earlier in-post, plenty of saws seem to make it seem intentionally-modifiable (overriding EPA restrictions, essentially) but I guess the EPA would be OK so-long-as most people were using them as-sold(which is the case)
I ask about chainsaws/small engines because, in my experience w/ FDA (when I was managing a vitamin/supplement franchise), the vitamin world was almost-fully ignored by the FDA, they'd seldom intervene (hell even for pharmaceuticals, most would be shocked to know how infrequently a pharma lab gets any in-person FDA visits) So, for the EPA - tasked w/ "the environment" - engines are simply a sub-set, and motor-vehicles are the big deal in that sub-set....can't help but imagine that stihl/echo/etc's EPA-interactions are simply "this is the threshold to meet" and the left rest to the manufacturers (ie, allowing them to make machines where you can easily bypass EPA restrictions, not unlike how the FDA considers Oxycontin "abuse-proof" because they added some ingredient to make it slightly-harder for addicts to use it....can't help but seeing a parallel of a weak "safety&security theater" being the case here like it is w/ the FDA..)

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP @00wyk
@00wyk your signature...have been seeking a b&c weights compilation, gonna check it out in a sec thanks a ton for keeping that in-sig!! When I got my 355t I was dumb/impatient and took the 14", even though I wanted a 16" on it, figured I'd trade its 14" for the 16" I'd been using on a 32cc climbsaw, anyway when I got home and went to do the swap the 14"echo-pro bar was HEAVIER than the 16" oregon-versacut I'd had!! I don't have a good scale for such things, wasn't checking weights, it was just obvious in-hand (which speaks to the significance of difference....for a saw that is proud of its power//weight, they never should've chosen that bar as its default) I know the versa has a "skinnier nose" but not dime/quarter tip, echo's bar's nose-sprocket is more advanced but regular nose sprockets are fine on small bars IMO and not worth extra weight...still can't wrap my head around why they'd stick such a hog of a bar onto such a slick powerhead(355t, droool :p ), I ended up weighing all my bars (10, 12, 14, 16 & 18") and the echo 14" was the only one "out of line" and it was by a huge margin, I still need to add-up the weights(used an impromptu "triple-beam" with a 4' aluminum level/straight-edger balanced at the 2' center on a pen, and used pennies/quarters/dimes to add-weight to bars to 'balance' them so once I find an actual spec-weight of any of my bars I'll be able to do the math to find all their relative weights :D

Have a 10" on my 25cc now (needed its 12" for my polesaw :p ), figured since I now had a 14" and 16" that it was fine putting the OEM lil oregon 10" back onto my 25cc and am falling in love w/ the lil unit again lol, so damn nimble, even w/ my 355 being my favorite I still go for my 10" to start pretty much any job! (and the 32cc with that heavy 14" echo bar...thing was already a heavy powerhead lol so now it's just a monster, my backup if my 10" or 16" ever go-out on me during a job :D )

[btw Re your sig...sugihara&tsumura, are they related companies aside from geography? I feel like I always see them mentioned-together.. Gonna go check the bar-weights link you so awesomely keep in your sig, if something has a significant edge on my 16" versa (or even my 10" regular oregon), I'd be eager to swap provided it's a straight-swap ie not going to get new chains/sprockets as everything I have takes "regular" size b&c and I've got a good inventory of chains building up, I can shave their rakers as-needed but can't alter pitch ;P ]

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's more fun to strain your eyes wondering than it is to know the actual number. The truth might be disappointing.

Piston Skirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could you "explain like I'm 5" this whole "bore v stroke" concept? I guess that, to an ignoramus like me, I'm thinking "you could have a 5' wide, 2" tall jug, or a 5" wide, 2' tall jug, you would choose"....presumably, then, there's a "optimal efficiency ratio" of stroke-to-bore? Is this something that is fixed, or is it played with (like compression) by the engineers to improve saws?
Engine’s displacement is a simple function of stroke times piston top area (here comes the bore). I hope we don’t need to explain this :)
Tooling and even plans are very handy to make in “round” numeric increments, therefore it is pretty common to have simple bore/stroke steps, like 28 x 32 or 27 x 33 etc. Obviously, some of them give common exact displacements (which are rounded, because actually Pi, you know...)
Some engines aren’t like this - CS-2511 is 25.0cc, CS-590/600/610/620/621 or CS-3510 have a stroke that isn’t exact to the milimeter but to the decimal part.
There are many reasons why engineers end up using them - tooling, crank loads, fuel expansion/burn efficiency (= resulting emissions) etc.

That'd be a tough sell I think, if there's saws coming-in at all sorts of displacements then it's hard to fathom that 25.3cc, or 25.5cc, would be viewed differently (oh unless you mean "class cut-offs" or something, like "it's not an SUV it's a truck", like at 25.5cc there's a new class/regulations so they're skating-under it)...
[and Re the 50cc thing...you mean there's 'cut-offs', so if I wanted to make a saw that was 49cc I'd be better-off making it a 50cc because I'd then be 'past a cut-off' for a new class/new rules&standards? That seems like such a crude, random way of approaching regulation of these engines...though I guess that in and of itself shouldn't be a surprise!!]
50cc is exactly the cutoff number for emissions in European regulations and that happens to be the second biggest chainsaw market in the world. 49.9 and 50.1cc engines have approximately 30% difference in permitted pollution level. Go figure :)
The funny part is that the same maximum level is set from 50cc and up, therefore recent 70+cc saws must have some engineering-wow-things in them to comply, and anything bigger will be very complicated to produce within reasonable price bracket.

How 'involved' is the EPA when it comes to chainsaws, though?? As I alluded to earlier in-post, plenty of saws seem to make it seem intentionally-modifiable (overriding EPA restrictions, essentially) but I guess the EPA would be OK so-long-as most people were using them as-sold(which is the case)
I ask about chainsaws/small engines because, in my experience w/ FDA (when I was managing a vitamin/supplement franchise), the vitamin world was almost-fully ignored by the FDA, they'd seldom intervene (hell even for pharmaceuticals, most would be shocked to know how infrequently a pharma lab gets any in-person FDA visits) So, for the EPA - tasked w/ "the environment" - engines are simply a sub-set, and motor-vehicles are the big deal in that sub-set....can't help but imagine that stihl/echo/etc's EPA-interactions are simply "this is the threshold to meet" and the left rest to the manufacturers (ie, allowing them to make machines where you can easily bypass EPA restrictions, not unlike how the FDA considers Oxycontin "abuse-proof" because they added some ingredient to make it slightly-harder for addicts to use it....can't help but seeing a parallel of a weak "safety&security theater" being the case here like it is w/ the FDA..)

Can’t comment on EPA but as in many cases there are too many things to police - IIRC there are even drastic fines somewhere in some states for tackling with carburetor settings but has anyone ever been fined?
There are simply no resources and sense to look for every modified farty muffler so the only point of control (theoretically) is through new product compliance in out-of-box state.
Heck, chinese copies are even able to go around the overly-simple-laws when they come in disassembled state and get assembled locally.
So it all is really far away from “tackle-proof” muffler design :)