High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Mcculloch 850 Pro Mac build.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
3:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Picked up this mac 850 for free last week. Been sitting for a Loooong time. Pulled it all apart and she'll do fine with a new piston, rings, and seals. Lot's of other things needed like tune up parts and hoses. Should be a fun project. Gonna paint it all up and make it look perrty to. Here in the West an 82 cc saw gets a long bar so.....having a hard time deciding between a 36 and 42. Already have a saw with a 36. Planning on doing some minor port work and a timing advance. Only picture as of now...I'll get more tomorrow. 001.JPG

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This will be fun to watch. :applaudit:

Let me know if you're looking for parts sources.
Thanks! So far I've found pretty much all I need, just need to get the cylinder cleaned up so I can see what "series" it is...A,B,C, or D. Found a B on the crank but no letters on the cylinder yet.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe the "B" on the crank is what your looking for. Should be stamped on the top of the jug.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe the "B" on the crank is what your looking for. Should be stamped on the top of the jug.

+1 ^^

Clean the piston and check it everywhere as well. IIRC, if there is no letter the default is 'B'

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up this mac 850 for free last week. Been sitting for a Loooong time. Pulled it all apart and she'll do fine with a new piston, rings, and seals. Lot's of other things needed like tune up parts and hoses. Should be a fun project. Gonna paint it all up and make it look perrty to. Here in the West an 82 cc saw gets a long bar so.....having a hard time deciding between a 36 and 42. Already have a saw with a 36. Planning on doing some minor port work and a timing advance. Only picture as of now...I'll get more tomorrow. View attachment 83494
I think 42" is overly optimistic, 36" seems max to me and mine wear and are happy with their 32" bars. I just ran them both in a piece of old growth fir last weekend. 850's are smooooth (895's are definitely not) for sure. Mac sure had rubber AV down well, better than Stihl IMHO.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 850 has no stamp so it is a "b" cylinder. An 800 cylinder I have has a "b" stamped right on top of it.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember if mine had a "B" stamped on it or not. But it was a "B".

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could get those rings off .A little work with an exacto knife,gently and they'll pop right out . That done get a thin fingernail file and work on the grooves . ..I've done several that way .
Push comes to shove you could probably save the piston .However you're going to need to go "old school" according to some and use a heavier mix ratio on the fuel .It won't hurt it ,might smoke a tad is all .Cut wood and fog for mosquitoes at the same time.multi tasking so to speak .---btw good luck:)

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, and regarding these... putting the piston back in the cylinder with rings on it can try your patience... need a dull pick to carefully press the ring into the ring groove with light pressure on the piston... it can be a PITA to get it to work. Don't use a sharp pointed pick or you might damage the ring.

Rings are available, but last I checked, they weren't cheap.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless the cylinder is really screwed up it's cut with a chamfer on the bottom .It's easy enough with the rod off the crankshaft but it can be a beech if it's still attached .It can be done either way but I prefer the former myself .

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Found a B piston for $50 with rings. Gonna get that coming soon. No markings on the jug so I'm gonna assume a B series. Cylinder does has some transfer so I may just swap on another jug if I run across one.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a pic of my "B" cylinder for reference.20170815_200807.jpg