McCulloch 250 points and condenser

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
12:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi guys n girls,
I need so help with two McCulloch 250 chainsaws I have.
Both have been standing for years and the points are rusted beyond saving.

Does anybody know what sort of points these are?
Would points from other McCulloch saws work? Which models? What part numbers should I be looking for?
What points from other types of saw (stihl) would be a direct replacement for them?

Also would a 0.22uf condenser/capacitor be about the right size as I am sure these must be shot as well.

And finally (for now) where can I buy a complete gasket set for the whole saw, or is that impossible these days and I will have to make my own?

Thanks for your help today.
John

Last edited:

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Capture 22.JPG I have the illustrated parts list for the McCulloch 250 for serial numbers 76001 and up,August 1965.

The points are listed as part number 50076A.This is a bit hard to read,but that's what it looks like it says.

Condenser part number is 50074.

If you'd like a copy of the IPL,message me and give your e-mail address.

EDIT:The points and condenser are available on E-bay(USA).One seller has more than ten sets available and brother,they ain't cheap $40 dollars US plus shipping.

NEW INFO>>>To my eyes,those points look exactly the same as ordinary Tecumseh small engine points part number 30547A-you might want to check that out.

Useful info from his ad-
For Sale is a BRAND NEW breaker points and condenser McCulloch Chainsaws. The points all have P/N 88806. The old part number is 50076A.

These breaker points fit:
McCulloch Mac 250

McCulloch 1-41, 1-42, 1-43, 1-45, 1-46, 200, 250 Super 250, 1-51, 1-52, 1-53, 380, 1-61, 1-62, 1-63, 640, 440

McCulloch Kart Mc 90 series Mc 49 series

Edit 2:Found another set on E-pay for about 8 dollars...added photo.

Last edited:

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi mike,
Sorry for the long time to reply, thanks for the manuel you emailed me.
For anyone else that’s looking for points for a McCulloch 250.
I ordered a set of Tecumseh points30547a and they look like they should work.
The spring arm is a bit longer, but it doesn’t look like it changes where the arm touches the cam.
Just waiting for a carb kit and then I will try and start it and then I will know for sure!
thanks for the suggestion

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the Tecumseh points don't work out, let me know. I have many NOS sets of the style of points
that the 250 uses and will send you a set.

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That’s very kind of you.
I have just found out that one of the piston rings is broken, the saw was seized when I got it. However the bore and piston are in perfect condition.
The top ring was rusted solid in its grove and was cracked, probably why it was seized.
Do you have any idea where I can get one ring? Are the top and bottom rings the same. (They look the same thickness)
The piston is 2 and 1/8th across (or 53.5 ish in new money!!)
Thanks again.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointer.
They seem to have the size I need, it’s just a shame they are away until the 21st! thanks again for your help so far, I will probably be back!?!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very seldom do the points on a McCulloch go bad no matter how old it is .The condenser might go bad though .With a magneto ignition just nearly any condenser that will fit in the space provided should work .It's not like a battery spark where the condenser needs to be matched with the coil and voltage .I once used the condenser from a old Ferguson tractor on an Eisenman mag for the pony motor of a 1943 Caterpillar D4 .it's only function is to prevent the points from flashing over when they open .

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The points on one of the McCulloch had rusted shut, and when I tried to separate them the rusted bits stayed together and they pulled off the main body!
Have got a replacement now.
Thanks for all the help though.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The points on one of the McCulloch had rusted shut, and when I tried to separate them the rusted bits stayed together and they pulled off the main body!
Have got a replacement now.
Thanks for all the help though.
Good deal. Points might last forever but they never work like new. Breaking up on the top end comes to mind with pitted contacts. It's great your getting that old Mac sorted!

Should be on your turf next year in February if they don't cancel All Ireland Oireachtas. NAIDC Nationals in TN was canceled :(

johnlate

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Enjoy the rain, enjoy the black stuff, and enjoy the craic if you make it.
I will send my shopping list later!!