High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Makita 6401 oiler help

TAB_Farms

Active OPE Member
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all. New member here, I have been a lurker for a long time, listening and learning.

I am hoping someone can help me out with my 6401. After the saw has sat for a few days it has a puddle of bar oil under it. Left for a couple of weeks it is a real mess. It oils well, almost too well in fact turned up on high. Is this a common problem with an easy fix, how do I stop the leak? Am ordering parts for this saw and my other Makitas and wondering if I should add an oil pump to the order?

Also is there a way to find out that year this saw was made? Is there a S/N look up on the web somewhere (if so I could not find it).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi all. New member here, I have been a lurker for a long time, listening and learning.

I am hoping someone can help me out with my 6401. After the saw has sat for a few days it has a puddle of bar oil under it. Left for a couple of weeks it is a real mess. It oils well, almost too well in fact turned up on high. Is this a common problem with an easy fix, how do I stop the leak? Am ordering parts for this saw and my other Makitas and wondering if I should add an oil pump to the order?

Also is there a way to find out that year this saw was made? Is there a S/N look up on the web somewhere (if so I could not find it).

Thanks for any help you can give.
There is an updated oil line for these, I don't have the part number but it's green and I'm sure the part number supersedes to the new one. If you want the part number I'm sure @SOS Ridgerider or @huskyboy have it handy.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PN: Oem 038 245 061

Model Fit: Dolmar Ps-630, Ps-6400, Ps 7300, Ps-7310, Ps7900 And Ps 7910

Makita Dsc 6401, Dsc 7301, Dsc 7901

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I must admit that I have tried about everything to fix this problem with my 6401. It's a first-class PITA. I like Huskihl's idea, and I'll try that first. My saw has rather few hours on it. It's a messy, time-consuming job. A local small-engine repair shop said, "It ain't worth it at $80 an hour."

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here the grey or red rtv gets on all of it new or not.
It is easy to see where you put on too much or not enough. Fast learning curve.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I must admit that I have tried about everything to fix this problem with my 6401. It's a first-class PITA. I like Huskihl's idea, and I'll try that first. My saw has rather few hours on it. It's a messy, time-consuming job. A local small-engine repair shop said, "It ain't worth it at $80 an hour."
Start with an empty clean tank and parts. Carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Take apart your pump and check that to.

I use spraynine on ope then soap and hot water. Oil pumps, oil lines and parts get the brake cleaner last.

TAB_Farms

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for all help everyone. I have added the hose p/n 038 245 061 to my order. I will take it apart, clean, and use rtv. Hopefully that will take care of it. It is a great saw, just hate the mess.

Any ideas on how to date this saw? Is 2006 possible for a Makita 6401?

Thanks Again

TAB_Farms

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry I have another question. Since I will be working on it, should I go ahead and order the oil pick up hose and the oil pump repair kit for good measure?

Thanks

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re probably ok without the pickup hose, but the rebuild kit is a good idea. It comes with both a regular and high output control bolt. The control bolt is plastic and is the weak part in the system

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all help everyone. I have added the hose p/n 038 245 061 to my order. I will take it apart, clean, and use rtv. Hopefully that will take care of it. It is a great saw, just hate the mess.

Thanks Again
Yes, that's about right. Figure an age of 15 years. I added the big bore kit in 2012 after the original owner burned it out. He said, "Fix it and keep it. My chainsaw days are over. I never dreamed one tank of straight gas would kill it."

This saw is in great shape except for this oil poop. I usually drain the oil tank into a spare jar after each use. I suppose could store it on its pull cord side but that looks goofy. I sometimes mount a 32" bar on it:
Big Elm2.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dolmar PS-6400 is 2001., she still has the factory original oil hoses and she leaks oil but it is not too bad.
The oil puddle that she leaks sitting for a longer period of time gets spread across the oak board she sits on.
Come to think of it, I should switch around storing places on the shelf to get the other boards oiled up too. o_O

My Sachs-Dolmar 105 totally peed herself recently, I only noticed yesterday.
The oil leaked out of the saw onto the board she sits on and on top of my Makita XS5000, cylinder fins are covered in oil - I hope the XS sticker is oil resistant! :confused:

I'll have to get a couple oil hoses on my next order, only one of my large frame Dolmar's has the new hose.

You’re probably ok without the pickup hose, but the rebuild kit is a good idea. It comes with both a regular and high output control bolt. The control bolt is plastic and is the weak part in the system
I did not know that, I may have to get a set or two!

Yes, that's about right. Figure an age of 15 years. I added the big bore kit in 2012 after the original owner burned it out. He said, "Fix it and keep it. My chainsaw days are over. I never dreamed one tank of straight gas would kill it."

This saw is in great shape except for this oil poop. I usually drain the oil tank into a spare jar after each use. I suppose could store it on its pull cord side but that looks goofy. I sometimes mount a 32" bar on it:
View attachment 284057
36" as a secondary setup here. :cool:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks Again
If it's still there a picture of the tag/sticker can tell the manufacturing date. ;)
It is usually the first four numbers of the serial number.

Units made for the European market even have the year & month stated separately.

TAB_Farms

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help, parts will be ordered this morning.

I am assuming the clutch must come off to get to everything? That will be a first for me, any hints?

TAB_Farms

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OK, I got it all apart with no problems, everything is pretty straight forward. So it had a green hose that went up to the bar, and the one into the tank was black. Was the green one a replacement maybe? My question is, the hose going up to the bar does not have a barb on the pump for it? It just sits there and the pressure from bolting the pump in is supposed to seal it? Could a guy put a shim behind it to get a firmer seal?

Thanks

TAB_Farms

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it's still there a picture of the tag/sticker can tell the manufacturing date. ;)
It is usually the first four numbers of the serial number.

First four numbers are 0606. So made in June of 2006?

Thanks

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The green hose is the updated one. I don’t believe there is an updated one that goes into the tank. I think the leak point is where it goes into the tank or where it comes out of the pump. You could probably shim it to make it fit tighter, but if I was going to take it apart anyway, I would clean it all up and smear some rtv on the connections. Just make sure it doesn’t smear to the inside and plug the hole up