High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Lost in string trimmer selection process - Stihl, Echo, or ....

Sid Post

Active OPE Member
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
East Texas between Dalls/Fort Worth and Texarkana
Country flag
I am looking for a good lightweight string trimmer for grass and light weeding around chainlink fencing, trees, metal out buildings, etc.

Echo and Stihl seem to be two of the better widely available brands but, there are others probably worth strong consideration too. I am hesitant to buy from a big box store because I want a dealer that will help me and service my trimmer when I am "in over my head". It needs to be reliable and easy starting. I do not care about 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke and don't mind running my Stihl saw gas (AV 100LL with oil) in a trimmer. I also want a trimmer head that is easy to load with string and one I don't have to fiddle with while I am cutting to get new string released (this was a major irritation with an old trimmer).

Ideally, I would stay in the $200 range but, I am flexible if there is a good reason for something more expensive. I have been told that "square shaft" trimmers are better than "curve shaft" and I am inclined to think they are probably stronger shafts with less power loss due to few u-joints or a flexible shaft but, that is speculation on my part.

What advice and recommendations do you have for me?

TIA,
Sid

junkman

Crush it
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The better built ones have a strait shaft from the engine to the string head ,the homeowner models are usually curved in that shaft and may not be built as rugged

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The Husqvarna 128' s at Lowe's are really good for $200. I've had several and even the oldest is still going. About 8 years on it.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo 225 is what i have.

Sid Post

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
East Texas between Dalls/Fort Worth and Texarkana
Country flag
Looking at the Husqvarna 128LD and 322L, it is really hard to tell what is different between them. The 322L appears to be significantly lighter with more power even though the engine is smaller for ~$40 more. Does the 322L have a much better engine? What else is different?

Also, both the Echo and Husqvarna websites leave a lot to be desired. Husky makes it very hard to tell what is 4-stoke and what is 2-stroke. Echo's website is just plain terrible.

On the Huskvarna's, what is the difference between an L, LS, and LST? Some say X-torq motor but, is seems like the only difference was a gear reduction for the trimmer head speed. :thinking:

TIA,
Sid

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
X-torq is a strato engine. And all three (L, LS, and LST) should have cat mufflers, my 525LS did. They do have fully adjustable carb but it has this neat spring limiter thingy over it that is push out of the way by a spline screwdriver. The LST is a high torque gear box, IIRC it drops output by approx 1000 rpm. Hey, I remembered right!!! The 324L and 524L are the only 4-strokers I know Husqvarna offers. I edge with my trimmer so a no mix 4-cycle is out for me.

525L 1.21 hp
Maximum rpm output shaft
6500 rpm

525LS 1.34 hp
Maximum rpm output shaft
6500 rpm

525LST 1.34 hp
Maximum rpm output shaft
5500 rpm

I can't see why the 525L is rated less HP, it has the same cylinder according to Partstree.com. I like my 525LS but it is almost too powerful for the weekly trimming. But not powerful enough to beat my KM-130R, which it really shouldn't. I wonder if it would beat an FS-90 though? This is the head I use but not my video:

Try this link, I highlighted all the trimmers: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...482501&Id=952711948&Id=967148303&Id=952711953

CTYank

Killer of Invasives
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tanaka (Hitach div.) makes some nice trimmer/brushcutters. Much lighter than produts of a certain Deutsche Co. Good prices on refurbs at BigSkyTool (no, not in Montana- Waycross GA.) Very reasonable shipping. This time of year inventory varies. In general, brushcutter conversion kit sold separately, via others, i.e. http://www.greener-garden.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=177
Having fun breaking in a 27 cc version with that kit, on mega-tonnage of invasives.

Steel 8-tooth blade is much better suited to whacking grassy stuff, except along walls & fences. That's where I go for string-head.

Just too bad most all Echo machines of the sort are now speedometer-cable-drive. My 21 cc Echo (with 7 mm solid steel shaft) from the '70s still runs like new- hasn't needed much surgery over the years, and gets used a lot as a brushcutter. Seems most/all straight-shaft Hitachi/Tanaka trimmers are solid-shaft.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last trimmer I bought was a husq 323L 9 lbs 25cc. SOLID drive shaft. If you can find one- grab it. Should be around $300. Husq also has a 525 but it is a little more weight 10+. Redmax, Echo, Shindaiwa, Tanaka, Kawasaki, Maruyama, are all brands I would look at. I have a 20 year old John Deere 260g which was built by Echo. If I recall correctly the corresponding Echo was the srm2400. That sucker still runs- but it is a flex cable drive and they tend to vibrate more. Buy a trimmer with a solid shaft.

Brian Simonseth

CANCER AND STROKES SUCKS
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Echo all the way for a trimmer. I know commercial guys that absolutely swear by them.

Meanwhile, I got an old fs45 I bought at a yardsale :)

That's what I have and the only problem I've had with mine is a friend put straight gas in it and toasted the piston and rings I was able to save the cylinder and put new piston and rings in it and it runs fine now

Reactions: DSS

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last trimmer I bought was a husq 323L 9 lbs 25cc. SOLID drive shaft. If you can find one- grab it. Should be around $300. Husq also has a 525 but it is a little more weight 10+. Redmax, Echo, Shindaiwa, Tanaka, Kawasaki, Maruyama, are all brands I would look at. I have a 20 year old John Deere 260g which was built by Echo. If I recall correctly the corresponding Echo was the srm2400. That sucker still runs- but it is a flex cable drive and they tend to vibrate more. Buy a trimmer with a solid shaft.
The 323L is a excellent lightweight trimmer. I liked mine so much that I bought a second.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 323L is a excellent lightweight trimmer. I liked mine so much that I bought a second.
If I could have found a second, I would have bought one too. I got the last one within 50 miles of my house.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the only difference between the 323l and my 326ls is the metal skid plate on the 326 and different mufflers.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a cheap Craftsman 28cc that bought new at sears back in 06 paid around $90.00 never had a want or a need for anything else its been great.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tanaka (Hitach div.) makes some nice trimmer/brushcutters. Much lighter than produts of a certain Deutsche Co. Good prices on refurbs at BigSkyTool (no, not in Montana- Waycross GA.) Very reasonable shipping. This time of year inventory varies. In general, brushcutter conversion kit sold separately, via others, i.e. http://www.greener-garden.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=177
Having fun breaking in a 27 cc version with that kit, on mega-tonnage of invasives.

Steel 8-tooth blade is much better suited to whacking grassy stuff, except along walls & fences. That's where I go for string-head.

Just too bad most all Echo machines of the sort are now speedometer-cable-drive. My 21 cc Echo (with 7 mm solid steel shaft) from the '70s still runs like new- hasn't needed much surgery over the years, and gets used a lot as a brushcutter. Seems most/all straight-shaft Hitachi/Tanaka trimmers are solid-shaft.
tanaka is made in china now i would avoid it like the plague.