Loose crank bearings

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got an old echo 660-evl that I think has spun crank bearings. It had bad crank seals and was running bad and I corrected that issue but when I got it fired back up it would man an odd noise on deceleration.

So, I pulled it back apart and it appears the bearing have spun in the case. You can slide the crank side to side a little but I can feel no up and down play. I'm sure it has some but you can't feel it.

Is there an epoxy or sleeve cement that I could glue the bearings in with or is it just shot ? We used some cylinder sleeve cement from john deere to glue some valve guides back in a lawnmower head. Four years running still going strong.

Saw isn't in that bad of shape, shows 150psi with something like .060" squish. I hate to just scrap it. My dad fed us with that saw around the time I was born in 87. I'll post a pic of it later.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The retaining compound I've been using is Loctite 648. I had a Shindaiwa 757 here that belonged to a friend and the crank
stub shafts were loose even with new 6202 bearings. I cleaned everything up real good and used 648 on that crank with new
bearings and they're on there tight. In fact, I think the big end bearing will fail before those crank bearings come off.

I think if you followed Shane's advice with a quality product, that Echo would probably be good for 20-30 years.

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is all good news. Thanks for the info everybody. If anything it'll only see occasional use now in the firewood pile or the occasional storm cleanup so it sounds like it should do just fine. Thanks again.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you suspect spun bearings a pressure test will often show bubbles around the outside of the bearing.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old trick. older than the hills .Raise the metal in the bearing pocket with a prick punch or an awl .Basically the same as knurling .Then use a compound like Loctite "press fit " to lock it in .If you do it correctly it won't move then don't get stingy with the mix oil .

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got some loctite 620. Now I just need some time to do it.

How well does this fix tolerate high compression? Squish is .060" now, I was thinking about closing that up a bit but if it's too much stress on an already wounded bottom end I'll just leave it be.