Looking For Recommendations For .22 Semi Auto

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good after, gents: Looking for recommendations for said pistol. The use of this pistol will be for indoor target shooting on a 50 foot range. My gun club has indoor shoots during the winter as an excuse to get away from our wives for a while. It's a fun diversion. However, I've been wasting serious time unloading and then loading a Ruger 6-shot single action revolver. I need a semi auto. I can barely get off the six rounds before the range officer calls a cease fire, when all the other guys have unloaded their magazines. Rugers Mark IV looks great, and Colt Woodsman ridiculously pricey. Ideas? Thanks.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good after, gents: Looking for recommendations for said pistol. The use of this pistol will be for indoor target shooting on a 50 foot range. My gun club has indoor shoots during the winter as an excuse to get away from our wives for a while. It's a fun diversion. However, I've been wasting serious time unloading and then loading a Ruger 6-shot single action revolver. I need a semi auto. I can barely get off the six rounds before the range officer calls a cease fire, when all the other guys have unloaded their magazines. Rugers Mark IV looks great, and Colt Woodsman ridiculously pricey. Ideas? Thanks.

All the Rugers,
Mark1, Mark II, Cobby3, even the 22/45 lite is really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ruger Mk3 target is a sweetheart of a shooter. As is the walther p22. Two totally different guns. But both a ton of fun for the buck.

I hear the walther and their s&w counterparts had some issues. But I'm not exactly sure what they all were and how many were effected by the problems.

Steven

Edit: Doesn't keltec have a 22lr version of their pmr30? That would be a hoot and a half.

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which ever one you get, make sure it has some option to mount a laser/dot sight, for me dot sights are by far the biggest advantage you can have for shooting paper.

MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sight radius and a little muzzle weight are good for that use. Carry convenience doesn't matter much.
I tired of the trigger weight and cleanup of my 8 shot SP101, sold it and picked up one of these.
It's a MkIV Competition with Volquartsen VC4PCK kit and a Dawson .420x.100 front sight.
Comp.jpg

I used to change out the adjustable rear sight in Ruger Mk's but they've stepped up their game. I like this better than the VQ part with it's overly shallow rear notch.

Last edited:

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
3:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ruger MK series are all good, as is the Buckmark. The Walther P22 is nice as well.
If you want to step up and don't mind spending the money, a S&W M41 will put a smile on your face. Outstanding accuracy and a trigger that's far superior to the other options.
I own all and shoot my MK II the most but the M41 is the cream of the crop.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought five P22s (silver and black models) as an investment, I was going to keep one for myself, but, decided to sell them all. I really like my Ruger Mark I (late model that takes Mark 2 magazines). It is fun to shoot, accurate, and recoil is almost non-existence, PLUS, all metal baby ! :-D I have 5 magazines for it.

I used it for concealed carry for a long time and the main reason for stopping was not because of two legged predators, but, many larger dogs such as many terriers and pit bulls simply will not be stopped by a .22 to the head.

There is a video on YT, captured by a (ring?) camera where a corrections officer is coming out of his house and a neighbor's huge pit bull type of dog charges him and he shoots the dog point blank twice, once in the head, with a .40 S&W. While the shooter is yelling about killing the guy's "dang" dog that he let loose on him, the dog gets up and says " you talking to me willis?". Before stumbling a bit and then laying down, eventually the dog was put down.

I really like the Mark I and Mark 2 (slide open on the last round is the biggest plus over a Mark I), not having a magazine disconnect is a thing for me on something that might be a SHTF gun. Though a newer gun with better sights and a laser would not hurt for a range.

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My all time favorite .22 auto pistol is a Ruger MKII Government Target. I love those things.

Oldbuzzard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ruger MKs hands down. I’ve wasted money on Buckmarks, Walthers, etc, none are as reliable as the Rutgers.