Logosol farmers m8

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
3:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
how do you like the farmers m8?

I really like it overall, but it is limited for want of a better term.

Firstly it is not really portable, irrespective what the sales spiel is.

Secondly I find it abit "flimsy", always worried about a log damaging it.

Thirdly the spacing between the log mounts. Does not support timber that is shorter than ~3 & 1/2 feet. Need to make a cradle for it.

Hower, on the good side. A finish that is better than my bandsaw. More than makes up for annoyances. The quality and dimensional accuracy is fantastic.

I will be adding a big mill basic soon. Will enable me to make lumber out of much bigger logs that the m8 could never support.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard that the farmers M8 could be upgraded to the regular M8, have you looked at that in terms of sturdiness and cut capacity?

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cut capacity is the same, assuming you increase rail length of farmer m8.

Don't get me wrong, either the farmers or full m8 would have issues with Australian hardwood. Very good products.

A big mill logosol system will handle the heavy logs and the m8 farmers the lighter.

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's a great price!!

Saw choice is of secondary importance, a good quality bar (for a rigid cut) and a narrow kerf chain is what's most important from what I have found.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks really nice. What are you going to make with it?

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will probably break down that piece you see sitting ontop of the mill (4" thick" into blocks and onsell to help keep my food supply up ;)
)

The rest was milled (3 other piece) to 1 1/4". 2 pieces are crying out to be book matched and turned into a table top, but I have so many that have the same calling.

Haven't made anything for a while, want to start on a 2 seat sun lounge as a Christmas gift next week.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice! I'd love to see some of that surfaced/sanded and finished. It appears super porous on my screen (birdseye).

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I really like it overall, but it is limited for want of a better term.

Firstly it is not really portable, irrespective what the sales spiel is.

Secondly I find it abit "flimsy", always worried about a log damaging it.

Thirdly the spacing between the log mounts. Does not support timber that is shorter than ~3 & 1/2 feet. Need to make a cradle for it.

Hower, on the good side. A finish that is better than my bandsaw. More than makes up for annoyances. The quality and dimensional accuracy is fantastic.

I will be adding a big mill basic soon. Will enable me to make lumber out of much bigger logs that the m8 could never support.
I have the original M-8, and do find it truly portable, one person can move, my 15-yo Gson moved mine for me, and I easily haul the 16-ft version in the back of my small Nissan pickup; I bought the cross-beam for WWM this year, (to be able to do logs <8-ft) as I have much less need for boards Over 8-ft, much less 16-ft, LOL. Additionally, you can go Inverted for oversized logs, putting the mill on the log, instead of log on the mill (try doing THAT with a BSM :). With my planer max at 12", most slabs will get ripped to width anyway.

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the original M-8, and do find it truly portable, one person can move, my 15-yo Gson moved mine for me, and I easily haul the 16-ft version in the back of my small Nissan pickup; I bought the cross-beam for WWM this year, (to be able to do logs <8-ft) as I have much less need for boards Over 8-ft, much less 16-ft, LOL. Additionally, you can go Inverted for oversized logs, putting the mill on the log, instead of log on the mill (try doing THAT with a BSM :). With my planer max at 12", most slabs will get ripped to width anyway.

Unfortunately portable for me is not the ability to just lift on and off the back of a truck/ute/trailer/pickup. That is simply neing mobile, like any other mobile mill.

I often have to carry milling equip 1/2 mile plus, while the weight is not an inhibitor, catching on every creeper, vine, fern, tree branch etc is That is why for me a big mill basic system from logosol would be the portable option for smaller timber for me.

It is important to acknowledge the short commings of a product you use, also important to acknowledge strengths as I have.

As for inversion milling have done that, but if the majority of your use of an m8 or earlier model is in that orientation why spend more money buying one of those systems when the big mill basic system is produced by the same company and is barring the odd fire sale cheaper?

I really like the engineering in these logosol products, but they are designed for a european/north american market. There are limitations that are encountered in my region of the world that don't crop up in those markets. For example I would own a big mill pro right now if it wasn't for the fact it can't handle wide enough timbed for my use. Hence I still have to use an alaskan mill for my big slabs...

Last edited:

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't there an option to use two big mill pros together to do large scale slabs?