High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Log splitters that come with a 4-way wedge approved for hardwood

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Guys- I'm looking for a new splitter to work as a backup to my Wallenstein WP835 processor for pieces too large for the processor. Needs to be either H/V or have a log lift for more than 300 lbs. Since it is a backup, not looking to spend a ton of money. Needs to run a 4-way wedge in hardwood. Probably 2-5 cord per year in a small firewood business.

Thanks

W

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys- I'm looking for a new splitter to work as a backup to my Wallenstein WP835 processor for pieces too large for the processor. Needs to be either H/V or have a log lift for more than 300 lbs. Since it is a backup, not looking to spend a ton of money. Needs to run a 4-way wedge in hardwood. Probably 2-5 cord per year in a small firewood business.

Thanks

W

Why does it need a 4-way for 2-5 cords of wood?

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I only anticipate needing to do 2-5 cord with it but if the processor were to be down for repairs, I might need to do more to keep up with orders until the processor is back up and running again.

I also have 2 locations I split at and the amount of wood at the splitter location can vary, so maybe up to 10 cord a year, but more likely the 2-5 cord average.

My customers are primarily aesthetic fireplace burners so they want nice small pieces that don't burn all night and a 4-way helps with that goal.

Plus, I want to keep my options open to be as efficient as possible. Even if I only use the 4-way periodically, it would be nice to have the option.

Thanks

W

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I guess if you want a log lift and a 4 way, it looks like you're gonna have to spend some $$. I'd take a look at the ones made in Wisconsin by Wolfe Ridge MFG. I have a three point splitter they made that I like a lot. Their stuff is a good amount cheaper than a Timberwolf for a similar machine. Stuff like that holds value pretty well too.

Roadfxr

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alex at AEMetalWerks custom makes splitters. He's got a few models with 4 or 6 ways and they are built tough.

I’ll second that. I have one of Alex AEMetalWerks splitters, it is built like a tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You have a wish list.
Four-way and log lift.
There are a lot of those style...
Now, how deep are you willing to dig in your pocket?

There are some used TW's on CraigsList, and many others too.

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are lots of custom built splitters that are very nice, and since this is your business I’d say to make the investment and get something that will hold up.

If looking to go the cheaper route, my old splitter was a 32 ton with log lift from Northern Tool. It worked great until I bent the chit out of it.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW a majority of splitters are highly over rated tonnage wise .In other words they lie about it . In reality a 4" cylinder at 3000 PSI is roughly 18-19 ton .Just saying http://www.calculatoredge.com/mech/pushpull hydraulic cylinder.htm My home built with a 5" with the hydraulics set lower than 3000 is most likely around 19 ton .Having said that nothing stops it .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you think about it most dual pumps are set to transfer at around 900 PSI before they shift from high volume to high pressure .More times than not they make the entire cut without transfering .So using a 4" as reference you're only using about 6 tons to do it .Ponder that for a moment .

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah 21 HP and a 28 gpm pump, nothin slow about it.

Here’s the adj 4 wayView attachment 138548

Yep, sweet setup. I didn't spring for the adjustable 4-way on mine, but I wish I had. Well, mine is adjustable, but it requires a 3/4" wrench. Someday when I've got a few extra bucks laying around maybe. Mine's only 21-22 gpm, but it's single stage, so it never slows down, as long as you've got the HP.

rps20180824_222247_346.jpg